OT. Dell window 10

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT. Dell window 10
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 06:09 am:

I read on here about not getting Windows 10. HSN has a Dell computer with Window 10.
Should I buy it??
RDW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Rich...after being a loyal Dell/Windows owner for 15 years, I would say with a resounding...hell no!

I finally acted on my years-old threat to get rid of Windows based PC's and go with a MAC, and at least for now, couldn't be happier. Just my not-so-humble opinion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Richard, I've so far upgraded my laptop to Windows 10. I will upgrade my desktop in the near future. I have to say it is much better than 8 and 8.1. I think it will just take a little time to be as familiar with the new OS as I am with Windows 7. So, that said, I see no reason to not go with Windows 10 unless you really want something else. Do some research, Kim Komando's web site has some useful tips for configuring Windows 10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:27 am:

John is right. Do your homework on Win 10.

Kim Komando <komando.com> has a great deal of good information on the subject. Today she posted more about how to avoid certain pitfalls with Win 10... She discuses for example: "We've already covered how to tell Windows 10 not to show you targeted advertising, track your location, store your searches and contacts, or share your Wi-Fi network with friends and family."

There are other issues like using your internet bandwidth to upgrade other users, unknown to you, and no support for certain popular browsers. Right now Win 10 is a no go for me. If these issues are not resolved by Microsoft in new releases, I will be forced to move to a Mac, once Win 8.1 support is gone.

I am no luddite when it comes to computer technology, but this is one time I'm going to wait and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:33 am:

I downloaded Windows 10, and hated it, so I took it to my computer guy, and he put windows 8 back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Think I will stay with Windows 7.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Always had a PC. My Son gave me an HP tablet (?) that has, I believe Android on it. Totally foreign to me but I did plug along with it and can half a**ed use it. While I consider the system a disease and would love to put a MS set-up on it I stuck it out and can't see a person kicking out a new system in a couple of hours. Especially one where you're familiar with the previous set-up. There will surely be differences and unfortunately problems with a new system but I realise, like Junior, some folks just have to have the latest. I have an old ('08) lap top with Vista on it and since I'm not designing rockets for Nasa it's fine for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

I still use Windows 7. U S Tech Support is the online service I use to keep my computer problem free. The last time that I contacted them, I asked about upgrading. Their answer was a definite NO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

I tried W10 for two weeks and it tripled the use of my satellite bandwidth so I reverted back to W8.1. I assume the added bandwidth was being used by MicroSoft to spread updates using my unit. There were days where the bandwidth use was a half a Gig. And I was not even on the Internet. I only get 10 Gigs. Per month and it is expensive at that. Screw MicroSoft. I am not funding there regime to spread their product.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration