How to reconnect rear axle to spring after changing clutch spring with engine into the car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to reconnect rear axle to spring after changing clutch spring with engine into the car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Hi to all,

I had changed my weak clutch spring with the engine in the car. How i reconnect the rear axle to the spring?

Thank you

Martin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Well, I would assume you unhooked the axle to do the work, so basically you would just reconnect it in the reverse fashion. You don't say whether you disconnected it from the shackles, or by removing the wheels and removing the spring perches. That's how I do it, I leave the springs attached to the axle and just unbolt the perches from the backing plate and lower the axle down via a modified floor jack arrangement. Obviously I have the car supported via jackstands and a cross-beam under the frame to lift everything up off the floor first.

I'm sure Steve Jelf will post his neat floor jack arrangement for the rear axle. I haven't put my picture into my new computer as yet so can't show you how I do it. Same basic way though.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Remove the rear wheels. Loosen the nuts on the rear perches, but don't remove them. Put the rear axle in place and install the shackles. Tighten the perch nuts and install the cotter pins. Put the wheels back on. Done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:34 am:

Hi tim,

I have disconnected the wheels and the axle from the shackles and the car is on jack stands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:36 am:

I'm on the road and don't have all the pictures with me. I guess I should put those on my website so I could just post a link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:33 am:

After you have the axle back under the car, the perches loose and the u-joint in place put a piece of 2X4 under each spring eye on the axle. As you jack the axle back up the eye's will slide on the 2x4 blocks and act like a spring spreader.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:37 am:

A spring spreader works the easiest , but if you do as mentioned, and loosen the perches, put a block of wood under the spring on both sides to keep everything level you shouldn't have a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Martin, if you have just pulled the shackles use a couple of 2x4 blocks between the spring and axle housing. Raise the axle, the spring will slide along the 2x4, things will line up and you can slip the shackles in. I just had to do that job. Search the forum and there are some pictures of this. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:57 am:

thank you guys, i have to put some additional weight on the back seats of the car, because when im jacking up the axle at some point the hole car is moving up from the jackstands under the frame

(Message edited by martin on August 23, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

I installed the rear spring with the body off and made two long U bolts over the frame and tightened until the shackles lined up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration