What are the current prices for a nice condition Ricardo, Haibe, Giant Power or Simmons Super Power?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What are the current prices for a nice condition Ricardo, Haibe, Giant Power or Simmons Super Power?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

There were several at Chickasha this year for $300 - $400.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I can't remember the last time I saw a Haibe or Giant head for sale, but I have both a Ricardo and a Simmons head. They each had a hairline crack when I bought them and to get them repaired, I spent more for the repair than I did for the head. The current prices vary but more of the Ricardo heads that I have seen on Ebay recently, seem to be priced between $250-300.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Nice ones I've seen at swap meets have been selling for $350-400. At the Springfield, MO swap meet yesterday, I saw some priced at $475. That was from the same seller that was getting $375-400 in the past. I don't think they sold this time; might be time for him to back off the price to the range where they were actually selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Yes, asking price and selling price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

This one recently sold in the classifieds.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/562362.html?1439329041

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

How common are hairline cracks or other hard to see problems on these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Constantine, I don't know how common these old iron heads were to cracking and I don't know what caused mine to crack over the years before I acquired them. I wouldn't have known they were cracked until I used them, except I had them magnafluxed. As far as other problems with them, if the head surface seems to be true and smooth (no rust pits or scale), they're probably OK, but in my case, when the cracks were found the repair had to be made and then the head had to be resurfaced. Other things to check are stripped water outlet or spark plug threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

The heads that isn't on cars by this time after 60+ years with active T hobbyists are more suspect as having one or more problems..

Heads used in colder climates had a very high risk of getting freeze cracks back during the 20's since antifreeze wasn't available back then. Alcohol was used to mix in the coolant, but it evaporated eventually and left pure water that froze :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

I got a nice Haibe Giant Power head from eBay about a year ago for $350 w/free shipping, which I thought was a good deal. I took it to a machine shop and had it bead blasted outside, water passages cleaned inside, and had it milled 1/8" to raise the compression. The bill for all that was $175, so I ended up with $525 in the head. But Mikey likes it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Mike, what brand of heads did you see at Springfield yesterday. I did not see any... :-( I must be going blind. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Donnie -- There was a Waukesha-Ricardo and another one whose name I didn't notice. When I saw the price on the W-R I moved on. They were about 50 yards inside the north gate, to the right of the road (down in the holler). Delbert Hall from Siloam Springs had them. He's been selling heads and other aftermarket speed parts for a friend who is getting too old to play with T's. The heads were selling well at $375-400, but he's been dragging them from meet to meet for a couple of years priced at $475.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Mike you stole that head!!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:52 am:

I have been using a Giant Power Head on our 13 for 5 years and like the way it performs. It does not have the compression that a Z head has. The one I have had freeze cracks in the water jacket which I repaired with silver solder. Seems to be holding up well....no cracks in the combustion chamber.
I bought it at Chickasha (Parking Line Up) for $150.00 eight years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:41 am:

"It does not have the compression that a Z head has."

Mine does, after having it milled 1/8". :-)

When I got the "new" Giant Power head, I laid it and a Z head side-by-side on the bench and took some measurements. The combustion chambers appeared to be identical, except that the Giant Power head was 1/8" deeper than the Z. After milling it, they are now the same. My pistons are .060" larger than original, so I had to chamfer the edges of the chambers in a few spots. I had the Z head on the engine before, now the GP one. I can't tell a bit of difference in the engine's performance, but it looks WAY more cool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:14 am:

Mike....you milled an 1/8" off. I may try that. The valve pockets looked deeper in the Giant Power Head compared to the Z head.
The Giant head is taller.....had to notch my 13 firewall to miss the head. I agree....it looks WAY more cool. Does yours also say Giant Power Head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Les -- Yes it does. Here are a couple of pics.

gp

gp2

I've been fond of red heads since I was 14. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

Mike,
Looks just like my head except mine is black. Wonder how the water capacity compares to a Z head. The Giant head sure seems taller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:01 am:

A few posts above I said that a Model T guy had been "dragging them from meet to meet" without selling them (heads). I just spoke with him on the phone and he was perturbed that I had said that about him. He informed me that he hadn't taken any heads to more than two meets without selling them.

So since I said that on a public forum, I want to take this opportunity to admit publicly that I made a mistake and to apologize for it. Sorry, Del.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Hey Mike, you're NH carburetor doesn't have the 'dip' in the top like it's supposed to. Something must be wrong with it. Better send it to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAUKESHA-RICARDO-MODEL-T-CYLINDER-HEAD-FORD-/29155794859 0?hash=item43e2353cae&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

It sold for $425; and I'm not the buyer. How hard to find are the priming cups for these Ricardo heads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Constantine

You can find these, but some of the heads do have cracks from bad storage with water left in the head. Got this one years ago, it was already repaired old time with bronze. Had a head shop do a pressure test and appears from that the head leaks are likely fixed. Have yet to mount it, but another engine is being done, so soon sometime :-)

You can see on this view a big crack fixed at the water outlet.

And this view shows a rather long crack fix along the upper side of the water jacket.

Don't know if you would really use the 4 small pipe thread ports for priming cups. Maybe use one for a Wolf Whistle ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Theres another one up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAUKESHA-RICARDO-MODEL-T-CYLINDER-HEAD-FORD-/29156377417 0?hash=item43e28e20da&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Had one once and didn't really like it much. I didn't put priming cups in the plug holes but did put in petcocks and used them like compression release valves for hand starting. That was sort of fun after dark and did make it easier to crank over but it did go BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG when it started and they were open and shot fire out of the head. Shutting them down one at a time made everything settle down and run well. I pulled the head and put in Riley Multi-lifts (the two would not work together).

All the Ricardo did for me was made it hard to start and very little difference in performance. They do look neat though.

Tim Moore

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration