Transmission Drive Plate crack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission Drive Plate crack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Wotherspoon - Melbourne Australia on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Yesterday I was pulling down the engine of my 1924 and stumbled across a crack at one of the bolt holes in the drive plate on the back of the transmission. I really want to know if I need to replace the item. I really don't want to, as I don't want the hassle of re-doing the bush in the shaft nor do I want to think about the 4th main issue that could arise.
Actually what I'm hoping you're all going to say is "it's okay, no need to do anything, proceed as normal".
The voice inside my head keeps saying that I do need to do something, so looking for some opinions.

Cheers,
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 09:22 am:

James, my gut feeling is that crack is not really a worry. I don't think it is likely to cause a massive failure at any time. That surface is part of the transmission brake drum. As such, it will have got to know the drum and your brake lining will also be bedded in on it. When you do have to pull the trans down for some reason, and you change the driven plate, you will have to go through the matching process all over again. I would leave it alone until then.

Others may disagree.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Agree too. Not worth worry.

But do add an oil screen and clean it each oil change.

That small crack surface could snag the edge of the lining and create some fluff from the lining wear over that spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Wotherspoon - Melbourne Australia on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks guys, that was the answer I was hoping for.
Regards,
James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Agree with what's been said. The crack appears to extend into the bolt hole. I doubt if it goes any further. Not a major concern. I would probably smooth the crack with a dremel tool and small carbide bit so it doesn't fray the band lining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Mine was cracked in 4 of the 6 holes on the inside, not through to the outside of the drum. It really spooked me when I found it, but it was working fine.I replaced the drum, A friends is cracked in 4 spots like mine, but the cracks go through to the outside of the drum, all is working fine - but I would not use that one like he has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 01:00 am:

James,
Bolt down the cover and go touring. There is no place for the crack to extend any further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Ditto.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration