Difference Between Model T Wire Wheels And Model A Wire Wheels???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Difference Between Model T Wire Wheels And Model A Wire Wheels???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

What is the difference Between Model T Wire Wheels and 28/29 Model A Wire Wheels? I thought I had model A wheels but someone told me they are Model T. What do I look for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

T on right, A on left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Paul, the easiest thing to look for, is the Model A wheels will have 5 reinforcement areas in the center of the wheel and model Ts do not. The reinforcement stamping is a little rib or bead between each lug nut on the "dixie cup" shaped center cone. Also if you look at the pic above the A wheel has a larger brake drum area than the T. Once you learn how to "see" the reinforcement stampings/ribs you can tell a T wheel from an A wheel 20 feet away. hope this helps .... Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Lug bolt pattern is slightly different. They won't interchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Ok thanks. It looks like I have several sets of model T wire wheels. Any idea of value per wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Paul, it all depends on condition, condition, condition. If they look like they were just made, the price is higher. If they have any pitting where it would show, the value drops. If they have any rust out on the tire beads or in the drop center part of the rim, the value drops. If any of the lug bolt holes are egg shaped, spokes bent, or wheel doesn't turn true when bolted to a spindle, the value drops, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 04:42 am:

Paul: Make sure they are not 28 AR wheels. They look a lot like T wheels, but are not. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 05:46 am:

Dan;
I was at a swap meet and bought 2 model T wheels, I thought, and when I got back to our site, my friend asked me "When did u buy a Model A" I told him I didn't. He said that one of the wheel I bought was an AR wheel. The guy that I bought them off of, took it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Does anyone have a picture of an AR wheel showing the differences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:39 am:

I'm on the road and don't have all my pictures with me. I'll post photos when I get home, if somebody doesn't beat me to it, clearly showing T vs A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Model A rim, backside:

Model T rim, backside:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Model A 1928 AR wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:15 am:

AR wire rear view

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Garnet's pictures show it pretty well. Here are my pictures showing the T wheel (without ribs) and the A wheel (with ribs). The bolt patterns are also different, but the rib/no rib thing is the easiest difference to spot, especially from the backside of the wheel.

T wheel

A wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:47 am:

I was interested to see whether the AR wheel also had the reinforcing ribs. I see now that they do, which makes that an easy way to tell T wheels from all types of A wheels.

Thanks to Dan & Steve for the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Can the 26 hub cap be installed on an a heel once in the car ,or do I have use the 28 hub cap with is different
Thanks Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:30 am:

The easiest way to tell the difference between a T and an A wheel is to look at them. In the very first pic of this thread you can easily see the difference.

While both are 21' wheels the hub portion of the Model A wheel is noticeably larger than the T wheel by at least an 1".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

I have seen AR wheels WITHOUT the ribs. The hole in the center is bigger( where the cap goes). Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

26-27 and 29-29 hub caps are different size. You have to take the wheel off to install ether. Someone makes a tool to put a crimp in the tabs so you can install A caps with the wheel on, don't know if it would work on the smaller T caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Mark,
After reading your post and despite it raining cats and dogs here, I went out to the shed to see if the 5 new T wire wheel brass caps that arrived yesterday from Snyders will fit the new A wire wheels I intend to fit to my Speedster.
They dont. @^$*&^!.
As I write this, I'm sitting here quite damp from the rain and feeling even wetter behind the ears.....
But you've gotta laugh......havent you?
Cheers,
Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration