Parking brake lever position question for a Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Parking brake lever position question for a Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

We have a Sspeedster with a jack shaft that lets the parking brake be relocated back about a foot. That lever is connected with a threaded rod with lock nuts. The brake lever applies the brakes as the lever is pulled and locks at 12 o'clock. I want to have neutral at about 12 0'clock as it should be. I have adjusted the link on the transmission and can't move the lever by adjusting them.

The cam is adjusted with the bolt just falling off when the hand is full forward, See pictures below, thanks for any suggestions.

Adjusting rod from moved brake handle

Bolt just not riding on cam when lever forward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

If I shorten the jack shaft rod it will move the handle back. Sorry no answers yet . . .. . .. help !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 02:03 am:

Is it #22 that has problems with the hand brake?
I'm not sure I get what's the actual problem.. From your description the neutral function works like it should, but the brakes are actuated too soon, so you haven't got a neutral where the car can be pushed, is that the problem?

In that case you can adjust the brake rods to the rear wheels a little longer, then the brake wouldn't apply until the lever is further back. The relocated handle with its threaded rod may or may not have to be adjusted - just check so the slot the handle goes through in the floor board is long enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

Thank you Roger, you are the only one who answered, I am old and forgetful. I used to be rather smart but time marches on,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Frank,
The bolt on the cam should be adjusted so it holds the clutch where the low pedal puts it at the point where the pedal just begins to compress the low band. This assumes the clutch link is adjusted correctly. If you do not get neutral with the lever at 12 o'clock you need to adjust the jackshaft extension link to to put it there. Then, adjust the brake rods so you get brakes to apply as you pull the lever farther back. I'm with Roger on this one.
Robert and I are looking forward to seeing you on our next trip down that way in November for the SoCal hill climb. Will show you the Gemsa powered racer we built with your engines and are excited to bring home the Egsgaard race car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Frank. Speedsters are not like normal Ts.

In my opinion the handle needs to be straight up to be in neutral, forward to be in high, and all the way back,to be have the brakes applied.
Everything is "Elementary My Dear Watson.

Cut and hack is OK to make this happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

It seems to me that the shaft is not rotating correctly. Is the U in the shaft hitting something, like an auxillary transmission?
I agree that it is best to be vertical when operating the clutch and back when operating the brake. However if things don't line up, which is often the case with custom, one off design, things don't work correctly.

One solution is to modify the clutch operating arm, cut it back a little and reprofile the edge that touches the screw. I agree this is a poor fix from a purist viewpoint, but it can be made to work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

I'm not sure I understand your problem but this is my setup that moves the handle back and to the outside. No problems with clearances or operation.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration