Anyone using a period-correct Chev gearshift?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone using a period-correct Chev gearshift?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Had Chevy 490 trans in a speedster work good sold the car but have an extra if there interest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:19 am:

I have what I think is a '28 Chevrolet transmission that was modified a long time ago to run in a model T. Its condition is only fair to poor, so I have never really tried to use it.
Chevrolet transmissions used a rear bell that adapted to a model T torque tube and U-joint very easily. So they were somewhat popular for adapting into model Ts. I even saw one once that was set up with 1st and reverse gears removed, and set up to install backwards as a tall over-drive. It is not too difficult to do if you can get two Chevy transmissions to take parts from.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:17 am:

Bob,

Do you know what year your extra 490 trans is? Is it complete?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Why would a transmission be called a gearshift?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:09 am:

I suspect that it refers to the shifting of position of gears with a lever in a gear box as different from the constant gear mesh in the T's planetary transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

I had one in a 26 roadster for a few years. I didn't really like it in the hills. On flat ground with 3-1 it was okay using 2nd gear as an under drive for the occasional hill. The problems came when I got to real hills the 3-1 would only get so far up the hill and then 2nd gear would only get to less than 30 mph revved up to redline. So it amounted to having an overdrive and an under drive with nothing in between. And first gear was useless, it wound out at about 14 mph. Don't forget all these speeds were with a 3-1 rear. Oh and it liked to pop out of 3rd. The only thing I liked was it was quiet and easy to shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

With the correct gearing and/or the Chev installed backwards this could be a nice "poor man's Warford".

Which model/year Chev transmission would work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I have one in my '21/'27 doodlebug.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration