Generator Rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Generator Rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van. Saint Louis, MO on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Just noticed I posted this in the classified section by mistake this morning, guess my coffee hadn't kicked in yet.
It looks like it's time to rebuild my generator. I had a loud sound the other night and smoke coming from it when I pulled back into the driveway. I had never made any adjustments to it since I had owned the car other than add a Fun Projects voltage regulator. Any tips, tricks or other advice would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Joe,
I think this is behind rebuild. You should look for a better one.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

I agree with Andre. Yours looks far worse than mine did and mine was beyond saving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

That generator can easily be saved, but it will be expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Looks like some new field coils and an armature check out. A rear bearing for sure. Normal generator rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

The commutator doesn't look too bad, it might be possible to clean up the brushes, but it needs to be meggerred first. The field winding look toasted, new ones aren't that expensive. Requires real effort to get them out...
I wonder what caused the initial failure???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

If you want a reliable generator, the armature in the photo above has already "checked out". A rewound armature is the major element of expense in a full up generator rebuild.
In addition to a new field winding and rewound armature the brushplate is oil soaked and will need rebuilding.
When rebuilding (in the normal sense of the word) a Model T generator the cost of parts drive the overall rebuilding cost.
Lang's Old Car Parts has fully rebuilt generators in stock.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

By the way the armature in the picture above has a date code of May 1926.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration