OT but I want to share with our friends

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT but I want to share with our friends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

We had been feeding the birds for a few years.
My mom used to love to sit at our table and watch the birds at our feeder.
Currently we get yellow finches, woodpeckers, cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, morning doves, and buzz bombs.
Buzzbombs are hummingbirds.
We see 5 or 6 of the yellow finches at a time and 2 or 3 woodpeckers but the buzbombs are the funniest.
There are usually 3 or 4 of them flying around.
They actually hover within 5 feet of me when I am filling their feeder and my wife claims that they say goodby before leaving at the end of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

We usually have at least one pair of geese raise a brood every spring and fertlize the lawn at the same time! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

'Bout the same here, Fred. For a while we weren't getting any gold finches, came to find out we had bad feed! Now, we have to fill the feeder virtually every day. They're little pigs! Sometimes the feeder is loaded with them with 3 hanging on the shephard arm waiting their turn. Your "buzz bombs" is a cool nick name for the hummers. We have 3 of 'em, they'll be around until about mid september, depending on the cool patterns. Lots of the other migratory birds have already left for warmer climates. In for another B--ch of a winter I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Fred, Bud, Tim - The birds all come this way, too. The 'pigs' even get help, but you may never see them! One of the critters invading our sunflower feeder is the 'flying squirrel'. Showed the pics to a DNR neighbor, and he said "They are a protected species." They are nocturnal, and this feeder is about 15' off the ground and about 10' from the deck or a mature tree, yet they can glide in under the squirrel dome.

('Bullwinkle even shows up occasionally, but a young black bear raised more havoc with the feeders...)
Hope you enjoy.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

LoL. We trap squirrels in a have a heart trap and take them them across the river for release
We have made about 100 trips in the last 3 years

We also coat the poles with a mixture of Vaseline and cayenne pepper. One contact and they stay away for awhile

We are going thru 40 pounds of sunflower seeds and a gallon of hummingbird mixture a month but the spectacle is worth the expense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

-Hi, Fred-
The gray (or red) squirrels have been 'proofed out', for the most part. That dome covers the feeder hanging by a 10' drop wire from the end of a pole, extending from the upper deck of a 2-story. Besides that, we're built into the back side of a hill. I did build a 'squirrel-under-glass' (cracked corn) feeder, so they've learned to leave the other feeders alone. A heated bird bath draws 'all kinds' in the winter, if you would want to enjoy them year-round. The 'flying squirrels will come around then too.
Marv
A couple more 'visitors'...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

You might need a NORAD system to stop the flying squirrels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Among the birds that come to my feeders I enjoy the humming birds the most I think. They will hover around me when I refill their feeder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Our goldfinches come and go, seems to vary by year. This last summer we only had a few. Two pair of northern orioles and one pair of orchard orioles feed on our grape jelly all summer. A pair of brown thrashers. Soon we will have hordes of purple grackles; not really fond of them; just too many. Like the flying squirrels and pileated! Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

While eating dinner out in the gardens in the back of our home this evening, 3 gold finches arrived at one of my wife's feeders and enjoyed a meal of special gold finch feed.

My wife has a number of bird feeders placed in the gardens and using specialized feed to attract different birds.

She mixes a concoction of sweet water for the humming birds which hover around and seem quite friendly.

The birds offer interesting and enjoyable time to watch and observe.

The goldfinch is the Washington state bird and sightings are somewhat rare. The most we have seen at one time was 9 all hovering around our several finch feeders at the same time.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 02:13 am:

Love the birds and other wildlife. Except for the pigeons, like rats with wings, and they chase all the other birds away. We get quite a few yellow finches, red breasted sparrow like things, grossbeaks, towhees, and a few others. We have one lone mourning dove, all alone, going on two years now. We love the hummingbirds. The problem we have with them is, we always seem to have one bully that tries to hog the feeder. He just hangs around trying to chase all the other hummingbirds away. Our neighbor across the road has hummingbird feeders also, with lots of birds usually around.
Do you ever wonder how hummingbirds perceive us? Their little super-fast bird-brains must know that they are the top of the evolutionary scale. We must look like a tree sloth to them. When I was growing up, we had a cat that caught almost everything, everything except hummingbirds. They would hover down lower, and lower, and lower, until she would spring and swipe the claws in a clean miss as they darted up just barely out of reach. Only to start the whole thing over again, again, and again. Those birds tortured that poor cat.
I have had to raise the bird feeder to discourage squirrels, but our local black bear comes by and bends it over for them. The last time I used two inch steel pipe filled with concrete a couple feet into the ground and about six feet above. Don't know what will happen if the bear tries to get that one.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 02:20 am:

A couple of winters ago, I was intrigued when I saw a group of about 20 or so of what I thought to be purple finches. Looking at our Green Bay Press-Gazette, an article said there were 'Red Polls' sighted in our area, along with a full-colored picture. Checked the feeders and they were still here, then verified with our 'bird book'. They are normally found above the Arctic Circle, but will travel further south for food during extreme winters. The article also stated that a 'Red Poll' had been caught and banded around Green Bay a few years earlier, then re-caught and found six months later in Russian Siberia! Sorry, I didn't get pictures....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Yesterday i was watching two wild turkeys on the other side of the road and one of our kittens about 6" long tried to stalk the turkeys!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Looks like we all enjoy our local wildlife. This is a shot of my front yard from the computer room window. ( I do live in country Australia, not the city) . These are Pretty Face wallabies that inhabit this region.... see plenty of them , not often this close to the house.Wallabies in the Front yard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

'Nature' is always interesting! Whether birds, critters, insects, or one of my wife's plants. Like your wallabies, Tony, it's always fun when the camera is accessible and there's 'that' picture. A couple of others to share....
PS - 'Kermit' beat me for a 'stare-down'. He didn't blink!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

We get Goldfinches, Sparrows, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Creepers, Two species of Woodpeckers, and Grackles. Once in a while we will see Purple Finches, an occasional Hummingbird, and (of course) Chipmunks,and Grey and Red Squirrels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

What a great thread. I also enjoy feeding birds here as its winter and they hang around but its interesting as you list all these birds I've never heard of let alone seen! I must look them all up.
Tony your post is timely as I unfortunately hit a small Wallaby in the Ute about 6 am this morning on Burkes Pass. First time I've ever seen one in the wild in NZ although they are plentiful in the hills a few hours away so I guess they are expanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Up here in 'God's Country', we have to be careful about hitting these guys, especially when they grow up. They've even darted out and run into ME during my 30 MPH travels...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

We get a visit now and then by blue hurons that are attracted by the fish in the pond. A few years ago a couple of hurons showed up and proceeded to raise a family on the far side of the pond. They roost in a large pine on the pond bank. Since then several more families have called the pond home. The picture doesn't look like a huron but they can really stretch out when they want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

About a month ago there was a doe with two small fawns in our backyard eating pears.Are wallabies the same as small roo's?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Marvin, what a cute little fawn. Gotta love those creatures. Chuck, interesting to hear your Orioles eat grape jelly. We've tried two years in a row with no luck. We go through a jar of Orange marmalade about every 10 days when they're here. They always seem to leave about mid July for some reason. This year they really ate us out of house and home. 6 jars since they arrived. Wish we could find the kind with no pulp, they don't like the pulp that much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Tim: We have tried oranges cut in half and staked to a nail. They like those but again expensive; Id rather eat the oranges myself. We have a couple of robing that also got hooked on the grape jelly. I will have to try marmalade next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Fred, Did you know that the people across the river from you trap about a hundred squirrels a year and release them on your side of the river? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

I tried find some pictures of the pair of birds that visit my barn in the early spring.
I know you bird lovers would like them. I am talking about two buzzards that nest every year in my barn. They lay two eggs and have hatched two baby birds every year. Cute white looking chicks at first but as the cute chicks get larger they try to puke when you get near them. They do grow into full size birds and fly away in early summer.
I wish I could send them to you bird lovers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Willie: maybe you should try pan fried buzzard? Tastes like bald eagle, I hear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Once or twice a year one of these guys comes down the chimney into the living room and can't get out. I have to catch them and take them outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

In Oregon's northern Willamette valley we get Haron in the fields hunting mice in the dry season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

TT

Took this with my iPhone...we live in a city with lots of forest land inhabited by this fella and all of his kin. They like to munch on plants and flowers in the yards unless we spray the stinkyest deer be gone all over their targets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:55 am:

Kenneth W - yes Wallabies are a small version of a Kangaroo. This one was very small not much bigger than a Hare. I backed up to check it was dead and also to see if it had any young on it but it was a male.
Marvin that pic reminds me of a few years back I had a deer farm and I pulled up to my letter box in the car and there was a fawn exactly like your pic lying in the long grass around the letterbox post. It didn't move even when I stopped with the motor running less than 2 feet away. Although the Hind was watching from behind the deer fence about 20 feet away. Its amazing how the mother squawks and the fawn lays flat & still until called again. The grass was longer outside the fence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 02:02 am:

Great pictures, guys! Counting in our bird books, (I record the actual date we first see them visit), there have been 46 different bird species we've had just in our yard.... Our experience with the Orioles is that they'll usually appear at the grape jelly (don't like jam), or Oriole feeder for a few weeks around Mothers' Day, then disappear. A few will show up again around Labor Day as they pass back through on their trip south. Unfortunately, I suspect some of Fred's squirrels have found their way here, and also developed a sweet tooth for the grape jelly.... (Hope their teeth fall out!) FYI - Cute as they are, those 'chippers' are big-time carriers of deer ticks and Lyme Disease. ('Checked off' 38 in 2012, 11 in 2013, 29 in 2014, and 16 so far this year.) Their population seems to increase after a winter of deeper snow accumulation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 03:30 am:

Steve, you need a finer screen on your chimney, but not as fine as the ones on your '15. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Steve, I think you need a chimney screen. Seems about every year we get some bird "stuck" in the garage...last year it was a hummer, just the other day a baby gold finch spent the entire afternoon in there until he tired out enough to hop onto a long piece of PVC pipe (my garage has a 12' ceiling) and that's how I got him back outside. Guess maybe I need a garage door screen? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:59 am:

We have new windows and screens now but a couple of years ago nothing will wake you up faster than a bat flying in your house!!! Our oldest gave me a ration of you know what after i told her the bat did not live through the night! I wonder how kind she will be when she finds one inside instead of on tv?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:02 am:

We have new windows and screens now but a couple of years ago nothing will wake you up faster than a bat flying in your house!!! Our oldest gave me a ration of you know what after i told her the bat did not live through the night! I wonder how kind she will be when she finds one inside instead of on tv?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Due to serious bear problem we are unable to feed birds from March 1, to November 1.bears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Like some of you I to live in the woods and see all forms of critters. There is a year round trout and salmon stream that cuts my property in half so I get to see "fish feeders" as well.

Elk headed for my vegetable garden.

Didn't know until this picture that new-born elk also have spots.

These pictures are from a trail camera that I have out for this purpose. It is the only way I "shoot" animals in my back yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Forgot to say the picture is of a Green Huron. They are more rare than the Blue Huron. Here is a picture of one stretched out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

About 4 weeks ago on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

For some reason I could not upload the second picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Hummingbirds and California quail frequent me here. and while having lunch with my sister on my land in Montello we were visited by a herd of antelope. And of course coyotes are everywhere. Harv.birdsbirds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I get these guys in the yard just about every day. They like to hang around my chicken coop. They also like mulberries. I have a big cottonwood tree in the corner of my pasture where they roost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:20 am:

We get a few "In your face Squirrels" that drive the cat crazy.

also saw these in a neighbor's yard this AM
They are not my neighbors! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Say cheese!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Among the birds we have here are magpies.

They have a reputation this time of the year of dive bombing you if you get too close to where they are nesting and if you are like me can end up with a scalp wound when they peck your head. Everyone has to wear head protection such as a bike helmet or the kids use ice cream containers on their heads while riding bikes or scooters.

These guys sometimes visit especially if there is meat on offer. You can see I got up close and personal with them.

What amazed me was that they went inside the house where you think they might be trapped and not have an easy way out if I was between them and the door.

On this occasion they wandered around the dining room even went around and looked at the TV which was on at the time.

mag01
mag02

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration