OT How cheap am I?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT How cheap am I?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

I bought a bag of cotter pins for a dollar. They were to long and I was cutting them to the right length. Then I realized I could make pins out of the cut-offs. Talk about stretching a dollar.

I know Steve Jelf and many others have some cost cutting trick so you can save bucks for the other parts.

Last week I stretched a Quart of gas tank sealer through 4 tanks. It was a little thick towards the end but I have a half pint left.

I also remember hearing about letting an old head gasket freeze and thaw all winter in a bag of water to expand the asbestos. I tried it on my Maxwell gasket and so far so good.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Uh oh, I sense a competition brewing - remember, safety first!

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

You've gotta do whatever it takes to save up for that OHV or Warford. Doing that wouldn't raise an eye-brow in Africa where I've seen them turn old tyres into rope and sandals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Steve, Some saved soles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

I am parsimonious but I draw the line at the rinsing out, drying, and reuse of tissues and TP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Ha ha ha ha ha. My grandfather would spend rainy days straightening nails to repair fruit boxes and drying trays, but never once did I refer to him as parsimonious. Cheap maybe but never parsimonious. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

My Father collected bent nails too. Something from the depression. I spent several hours separating the straightenable one from the other ones.

I too enjoy parsimons from time to time.

And as far as Sandalls, I sand better with my hands than my feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Anyone that served our country in Southeast Asia during the 60's and 70's would be hard pressed to forget the Ho Chi Minh sandals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:34 am:

I've been trimming too long cotters also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:39 am:

I still straighten bent or used nails.
And I have thousands of perfectly good NOS nails from my dad's and grandfather's shops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Michael, I was thinking the same thing. I went to a farm sale near here about twenty years ago or so, and the guy had a pair of them on the sale. I never did get a chance to talk to him to see where he got them. It kind of shook me up a bit, but didn't understand why until about 2009. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:40 am:

When I was a kid, Dad had me take apart old peach crates and we made bird houses out of them. Sold the bird houses. All this is not being cheap; it is now called RECYCLING !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:52 am:

In the coastal salt air new hinges with electro plated finish go south fast, When ever a serpentine belt is replaced I save it for hinges or support for yard art. UV light does not bother it and lasts for ever around here. Its also been used a few times for door straps on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

The wood shingles on my house need to be replaced, and I'm reusing all the eighty-year-old nails I can save. Not only does that save the expense of new ones, more importantly the old nails are hot-dip galvanized and most of them are good as new. The new ones sold now have a very thin electroplate and turn to rust spots in a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

No gutters Steve? It must not rain much where you live!
Just about done painting the shop and home thirty gallons of paint later. I had picked up seventeen fives of good paint with no pigment for a hundred then thought what is it going to cost to pigment the paint for my brides liking. Home Depot said they do it free-----what a deal it is perfect.
I don't think they knew the amount I needed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration