WANTED: 1918 Oil Pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: WANTED: 1918 Oil Pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathon Boyer on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

SOS,

My original oil pan on my Touring has a crack. (Discovered this after the purchase of the car)

Does anybody have an oil pan that they are looking to sell in the near future? (Late September)

I've been limping the car by until after the 2015 Greenfield Village Old Car Festival, then it will be off the road until the spring so repairs can be made.

I also discovered that I have a leak coming from the left side of the rear axle. That will also be looked into. Questions may soon follow.

Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Where is the crack? It should be able to be repaired and then straightened on a k r Wilson pan jig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Jonathon, I have plenty of three dips to take your pick from and a pan jig to see for straightness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathon Boyer on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:38 am:

The leak comes from the oil pan support bracket. Every time the car is running, oil leaks all over the road at a steady drip.

Joe, how much do you want for a pan?

I believe the crack is somewhere along the support brackets. I can't see it from the underside. All I can see is where the oil is coming from. Oil is also leaking from the pedal shafts. It's nothing major at all.

It doesn't leak at when it's idling at a stop. It only leaks when it's moving.

Sorry for the poor explanation...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 02:22 am:

Jonathon, Andy is right. I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to replace it until you get it out, clean it up, and inspect it. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 04:03 am:

Jonathon, if you take up an offer of a replacement, you need to check closely. Not all 3 dip pans are the same. Some time during their evolution, strengthening ribs were pressed in either side of the radius rod ball receiver. I don't know when this change occured, but my wide nosed pan for my 1917 shooting brake does not have these ribs. Perhaps your 1918 is the same. Also, the rolled outer edge which helps keep the pan gasket faces true is not continuous all the way around the pan.
It may be a Canadian thing, not evident on US manufactured cars.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration