26 Tudor Do I need backing plates?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 Tudor Do I need backing plates?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:38 am:

When I took my rear axle apart there wasn't a backing plate on either side of the axle. I have now rebuilt the axle. I have noticed that the catalog companies offer Backing plates for T owners. Is this something I need? I need your help on this one Please. Thanks in advance for your help. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:57 am:

Backing plates keep dirt out of the brakes. They also keep any grease that gets by the seal from getting on the wheel and flying around. I would put them on. They were more of a necessity when the roads and seals were not as good as they are today. Still a good thing to have.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Rand the backing plates are the thin round metal disk that are at the end of each side of the axle for the 1926 Ford unlike the earlier small drum rear axle the plates are not integral to the rear axle of the 26. They are attached with rivets. For the most part the backing plate on your model holds the rear parking brake shoe.that the rear drum fits over. So if you want parking brakes and your rear axle doesn't have the plates you can order them I think they're around 30 bucks and are easy to install

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:06 am:

I agree with Rich. Yes, you want them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:11 am:

About $74 a pair new. Used ones should be less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Are you sure you have a 26/27 big drum rear end? Seems kinda odd that both are missing. The link will show the differences;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/279502.html?1333411856

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Now I'm really confused. The drum I have looks like the small drum in the photo. I wonder if over the years, the differential was changed out with an older one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

If it's possible to post a photo of what you have, (I'm one to talk as I've never posted a photo on this forum) it would really help us to determine exactly what you have\don't have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Post pictures. You'll soon find out what you have and what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

This is a photo of my 26 Tudor brake drum. Is this correct for a 26?

26 Tudor Brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Looks like an early wheel and a 26-27 rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Mis-matched parts, as Jack states. Look closely at the plate- there are clips formed on the outside edge that are there for the purpose of holding the parking brake bands in place. The backing plate is correct and should stay. The drum is for older cars. Can't tell from the photo, but it looks as if the wheel/rim/tire are also wrong for a '26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:41 am:

While uncommon you could get 30 inch wheels on a 26. If you have 30's in the front might and the wheels/tires are good, get a set of 26-27 brake shoes, new hub bolts/nuts and wood wheel brake drums and swap the drums. Looks like you are missing the cams, levers and brake rods too so you would need those. This would be the quick simple way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

That's a small drum rear axle. Post a picture of your car, perhaps it's a late 25 titled as a 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

There's a small fraction of an inch difference between drums and backing plates, but for identification purposes forget the fraction. Even inches will do. 26-27 backing plates and drums are 10". Earlier backing plates and drums are 8". 26-27 backing plates are removable sheet metal. Earlier backing plates are cast as part of the housing, and therefore not removable without a cutting torch, saw, or grinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

I agree with the above. You could run as is, but, would not have parking brakes. You would also not have an "emergency brake" which the parking brake becomes. The original Model T transmission brake will stop the car very well on level ground in light traffic, but not so well on hills or in heavy traffic. It will also not work when you have a drive train breakdown which will leave you in free wheeling. I recommend that you replace the drums and install the parking brakes. Also if you drive in traffic or on hills that you install auxiliary brakes.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Ted you are correct, it is an earlier rear axle. I enlarged the photo, small it looked like the later bacKing plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

it's a small drum rear end, enlarge the picture, all you need is brake shoes and the fittings.

Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration