Interesting coil mods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Interesting coil mods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:24 am:

I just received some coil cores and this one was in it. I believe that the parts have been soldered on to the original posts, it does have the "Ford" script on the side of the box. Interesting, and I wonder why they would have done this.

Do you think It could be returned to stock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:00 am:

Probably modified to run a hit and miss engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Fencer coil, might work again as a normal coil, but fencer service generally was hard on them, but you have nothing too loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Spark plug test fixtures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:39 am:

I believe that coil is set up as a fence charger. I have found remnants of coils hanging on rural fence posts set up in a similar manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:46 am:

...And electric fencers have the same problem as repro T coils.

My 3 year old solar fencer quit working about a year ago and with my limited electrical knowledge I was able to narrow it down to one circuit board which I was able to order for $40. While I was waiting for the new board to come in I had the old one on the bench and noticed it had the a small, flat, brown capacitor just like the ones that fail fast in the repro T coils. I looked at it and sure enough it was .47 uF. I un-soldered it and soldered in an "orange drop" Model T coil capacitor and the fencer worked like new. Unfortunately the new board was already shipped at that point, so now I have a spare on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:50 am:

There you go Adam. Contact the company and tell them you'll do board repairs for them to build customer relations - at $50 per unit.

An opportunity lost is a lost opportunity!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 05:23 am:

A lot of them were used on more modern cars as "shockers" too back in the day. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:28 am:

The T coil fence chargers I have seen had a neat little device attached that had a marble or ball bearing in a glass tube that would somehow roll downhill in the tube, open the points and be knocked back uphill and this would make the fence charger 'pulse' on and off. I don't remember the details, but I wouldn't think a T-coil would last long if allowed to buzz continuously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Here's some examples of the devices described:
fence1
fence2
fence3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Here's a video of the pendulum approach in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOCyoGUs7A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Very Interesting. Thank You gentlemen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Fence Charger Coil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Do a search on LeJay HiBall Fence charger and you will find the instructions for the unit Ron posted above. It uses a marble rolling up and down the test tube instead of a pendulum.
Kevin

If the ants haven't ate the cookies you may find it here:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110517

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Here are a few interesting used for a Model T coil.

Be_Zero_Be

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration