How to Crimp New Seat Springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to Crimp New Seat Springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Working on installing new Cartouche seat cushion upholstery on new springs from Snyders. Made a spring compressor to get the edge of the new cover into the grooved channel on the bottom of the spring. What tool is recommended to crimp the channel closed? Both for the initial crimps to keep it in place and then the final complete crimp.

The grooved channel is on top in this picture of the painted spring.

spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:33 am:

I used "Cannon Plug" pliers because I liked the curved jaw and the plastic inserts to keep from scratching the paint. Regular pliers work too:-)

Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Thjomas-
I have a pair of these that I used when I did mine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-flat-jaw-welding-pliers-93062.html

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I took a pair of duck-billed vice-grips and bent the plates to make something that worked. It looked similar to the weld pliers above, but the jaws left the crimp a bit more oval than flat, but either would do it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration