Starting a Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starting a Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Reading through the forum it is interesting to see individuals with issues. Questions arise about steering, over-heating, fuel, engine lubrication and the likes. My question is, how many actually do a daily check of oil, air pressure, cool-lent, and other operating procedures before starting their car and going for a drive. How often is the recommended daily, 200 mile, 500 mile checks done - the preventive maintenance stuff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

I check engine oil, coolant and gasoline every time before the first start of the day. Rear end lube, Muncie lube, and tire air pressure about once a month. I give the grease cups a twist and oil the oilers when I think of it ( maybe monthly). There's not much else to check, other than I'm always alert and looking for anything out of order. This includes steering, suspension, and anything else that may go wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

I agree with Henry. every time I take her out i check it all even if it is for a 10 mile drive.
I like working on a Model T but I don't like to break it.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

We drive our cars almost daily in the summer, often only a few miles each time. As a result, I catch myself becoming complacent frequently and skipping checks. Not a good way to do it, but that's what happens. I do always check underneath, looking for water or new oil leaks to alert me to bigger problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Not me - I get a T out most days and don't check engine oil or water as a rule. When I first buy a car I check a few times until I am comfortable they don't use any oil (both don't) and the same with water. If I do a lot of miles i will check to ensure it still runs out the top tap. I oil the timer, front & rear end on a regular basis plus grease caps probably more than required but this is part of the fun and evening tinkering I enjoy. Mind you I have brown paper under both cars and I can see if anything different is dripping and I always look as I approach if parked up hot at the shops etc.
Would be different if either car used oil/water in any way. Works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

I check the gas when the engine quits running, usually I need to add gas at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I drive my T often enough to know what it needs and when without obsessing on it. Except for gas and oil, I know that after a 60 mile drive it might need a pint or less oil to top it up, sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

I check those things daily when driving the T.
I've seen too many instances of engines having to be rebabbited because the oil wasn't checked.
The reality is that some gets burned and some leaks, so it's best to be sure before driving.
My golden rule above anything else is to make sure the oil drips from the top tap before I drive.
Before each day of driving, I also fill the oilers for all the suspension and steering points.
Tyre pressure is checked weekly because I know the tubes I have leak slowly, and being clinchers there's too much risk if the pressure gets low.
As for coolant that's a daily check as some usually gets lost on a trip.

Less frequently, I'll oil the handbrake, fan, and do a few turns of the grease cups.
I change the engine oil once a year and check the diff oil about as often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Due to the purchase of a new bike, we don't drive the T's as often as we used to, but I most always check gas, oil and coolant before going for a drive. I will have to admit, I don't oil the flip top oilers, or turn the grease cups like I should. I'll probably pay for that one day. I don't check air pressure as often as I should either, but I do give them a visual and add air if I notice the steering seems harder than it should. If I know we are going for a longer drive, I will do all of the things mentioned above before leaving, but just for heading to breakfast and back, I get lazy and do not do the PM I should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Always check fluids and air,My wife doesn't like when I ask her to be quiet because I am trying to listen to something. Heard some clicking one day, I had picked up a small limb that was hitting the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Won't the oil light or check engine light come on if necessary? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Weekly check - maybe put on 20 miles a week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:54 am:

OT, but here's an AMC Gremlin check engine light in action. :-O

gremlin

(Message edited by cudaman on August 26, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration