Is this a T rim? Valve stem does not line up.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is this a T rim? Valve stem does not line up.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

So, I've carried this mounted spare on the back of my '24 Speedster for a couple years and this afternoon when I tried to install it on the car... the valve stem does not line up with the felloe!

Photo 1 shows that the valve stem hole in the rim is several inches from where it needs to be. Photo 2 shows more detail of the felloe and rim.

Is this oddball rim Model T? Any problem with simply drilling a new valve stem hole in the rim to suit?

Inquiring mind wants to know. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

If I remember correctly that is a Chevy rim and a common problem. I've heard of it before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

The wheel in your photo has a Kelsey felloe. Do your other wheels also have Kelsey felloes? Can you please post pictures of the four rims that you currently run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Chris, your wheel takes a loose lug rim. That slot in the felloe is for the foot of the loose lug to engage.

Your fixed lug rim may be Chev, but in my experience, all the Chev rims have slotted lugs next to the valve hole. Otherwise the rim/tyre assembly cannot be dropped down through the valve stem hole. Perhaps the slot has been welded shut by some well meaning T owner, in an attempt to use it on a T.

As an aside, the fixed lug next to the valve hole on a T rim is slightly oval. This is to allow the rim/tyre assembly to be dropped over the valve stem hole and then twisted back onto the felloe. I knew of a fellow who welded up that "worn" lug, re-drilled and countersunk it, and then had to file it back into oval so it would fit!

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Thanks Gary, that's helpful. I'm hopeful I can simply drill another hole for the valve stem and use this Chevy(?) rim.

Strangely, I have one more rim with lugs like the oddball rim, but the valve stem hole and lugs line up properly with my felloes. This rim, however, is rusted and ratty and would need considerable rehabilitation to be useable.

Mark, my other five rims (I run four on the car and carry two spares) all have the same style of lug, photo below. At least one of those lugs is identified as Hayes.

Again I ask, has anyone redrilled the Chevy(?) rim to work on a T felloe, and are there any problems I should watch for?

We are setting out on a 2,500 mile run next week. I'm glad to have discovered this problem today in the garage and not by the side of the road in a downpour!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Thanks Gary, that's helpful. I'm hopeful I can simply drill another hole for the valve stem and use this Chevy(?) rim.

Strangely, I have one more rim with lugs like the oddball rim, but the valve stem hole and lugs line up properly with my felloes. This rim, however, is rusted and ratty and would need considerable rehabilitation to be useable.

Mark, my other five rims (I run four on the car and carry two spares) all have the same style of lug, photo below. At least one of those lugs is identified as Hayes.

Again I ask, has anyone redrilled the Chevy(?) rim to work on a T felloe, and are there any problems I should watch for?

We are setting out on a 2,500 mile run next week. I'm glad to have discovered this problem today in the garage and not by the side of the road in a downpour!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Ihave,especially on 21 inchers. works fine.I even welded up the old hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I have never personally drilled a rim or felloe to fit a Chevy rim onto a Ford Wheel. or visa versa. I have however had several rims, both Chevrolet and Ford, and Ford wheels that had been drilled by previous owners in order to mix them up. I have run a Chevrolet rim a short distance on a re-drilled Ford wheel. Mostly, it seems to work fine. There could be some fitting issues, especially on that wheel that is supposed to have separate lugs instead of the fixed lug rims. The Chevy rim should work as well on it as any fixed lug Ford rim does. And if you have been driving it that way already, you are not the only one I know that has. Sometimes the lack of a "cradle" to fit the lug into can distort the rim resulting in a bounce at higher speeds. Depends little bit on how you tighten the rim.
Also, SOME Chevrolet rims are a bit wider than the Ford rims, and they will not seat all the way on. Those may actually work better on the wheel you showed a photo of, as long as it is not overly tightened.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Done it. Drilled hole and plugged the other. No issue yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Chris, in some sort of order, some answers for you.

I have drilled valve stem holes in the Chev style rims to fit them to a Ford wheel. Some vandal drilled the felloe on one of my Hayes wire wheels to take an un-altered Chev rim!! We have 5 re-drilled Chev rims on my son's 10cwt T lorry, using 4.40 x 23" oversize tyres. As Wayne says, these are wider than Ford rims, about 1/4".

The rim with the valve stem hole in the correct place is most likely one of the correct ones for a Ford.

In my experience, the rims with lugs can be used on the Kelsey wheels made for loose lugs like yours. However, the one with the Hayes branded lug may not fit, as the foot on the lug requires a depression in the felloe to accommodate it. That said, lug type rims are not an ideal fit. Clincher rims are designed to wedge onto the felloe, forced into place by the four bolts. This wedging is what takes the driving forces. The bolts are just there to maintain this wedge. With fixed lug rims on your loose lug felloes, the rims are not likely to be wedged in place, so the driving forces will be on the 4 lug bolts, and these will need to be watched.

Wayne mentions rims seating on the wheels. Loose lug rims to suit your felloes should wedge on the outside of the felloe. Fixed lug rims are designed to wedge on a wider inside land on the felloe. The felloes themselves are different in cross section. The loose lug felloe has the outer rolled in edge and the inner rolled out edge both about the same width. The fixed lug felloe has a wider rolled out edge on the inside.

All of this ia based on my experience with Canadian sourced cars with Kelsey loose lug wheels and our 1925 T's which finally came with fixed lug rims like the US cars. Mix that in with Hayes wire wheels and needing to source felloes to re-build same, and I fell into all sorts of mix and match poblems.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Thanks to all for your comments, and especially to you, Allan, for the detailed info and explanations. I'll be printing that and taking it out to the shop tomorrow AM.

As it stands now, I'm expecting to demount the tire from that Chev rim, re-drill the valve stem hole, and try it out for fit on my Model T wheel.

If the fit is OK with no apparent problems, I will relegate that rim and tire to "back-up spare" status.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:49 am:

I have been running two chevy rims for several years. re drilled the felly as the chevy rim has the valve stem hole opposite the locking tab making it easier to change the tire. Put a black plastic plug in the original hole, no one has ever noticed. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

New hole drilled, old hole filled, tire on the rim, rim on the car and it fits like a glove. Again, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration