Why does Mac's charge so much?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Why does Mac's charge so much?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

I ordered a set of Kevlar linings from Lang’s for $95, found out today they are on back order. I need the years 26/27 with the wide brake band. I checked Mac's they want $147 for the same set w/o the rivets. Plus macs wants $18 for 2 to 7 day ground, Lang’s charged me $7 for 2 day priority macs wants $35 for 2 day priority.

I should add that Snyder's has the same set for 98 bucks and reasonable shipping with $10 priority.

I read some negative posts about mac's I guess you can add mine to the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:00 am:

Call Rocky Mountain Machine in Colorado Springs. They are the ones I have used and I have always dealt with them directly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:21 am:

There was a thread here on poor service and everything from macs
Plenty of other sources

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:33 am:

With all of the great T parts vendors there is no need to buy from Mac's. I ordered parts from them twice, and that was two times to many. I will never buy another part from them again. If all of the other T vendors go out of business I will quit T's and start collecting Chevy's before I buy another part from Mac's. YMMV

(Message edited by paulmikeska on August 26, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 02:18 am:

A month went by for adj. lifters. So I put the
solids back in - total of six months the adjstables
came in and they are still on the shelf can't
return after six months??? Never fails every time
there is a merge or they get bought out thing go down the drain....there ya go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 02:29 am:

And I'm the exception. Macs prices are sometimes a bit dear but just as often they are not but they do often have 15 to 20% sales plus their international freight is a fraction of all the others.
In saying that I price with the other major players every time to compare or find what you need.
Last week I blew a head gasket, checked them all out & Macs won again, $14.41 for steel & $24.64 for Copper plus freight was only half the price of others. No brainer, I have 3 gaskets on the way plus a few other bits and saved myself a heap.
One outfit wanted $200 for freight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Like Kevin, I too got a decent "deal" on a new brass rad for my '12. Problem is, I'm waiting forever for it, MACs wouldn't respond to my email inquiring about its whereabouts, and after two tries with Brassworks, they finally responded with an explanation, and that it would be sometime in September for delivery! Once that happens, I'll have a real real nice '13-'14 brass round tube for sale!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:08 am:

I have had no bad dealings with Mac's. You need to watch for the sales that they run constantly. Sign up for their email specials and I have found that they are often as low or lower than all others. All vendors back order on occasion, I currently have had a carburetor on back order from Lang's for the last 2 weeks. I certainly would not like to see any vendor stop selling Model T parts, we need them all. Mac's is offering free shipping for the next 2 days on orders over 99.00. Do some serious price comparing and you might be surprised.Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Lots of people have bought from Mac's and never had a problem. Otherwise they wouldn't still be in business. But what's that smell? Smoke? Yep, enough people have been burned to give Mac's a reputation for a poor attitude and less than sterling service. Add to that the occasional overpricing on some items and the lousy quality of some others, and it's no surprise that many of us keep the Mac's catalogue only for the pictures. I would disagree with Sam on one point. This didn't start with the recent buyout. I swore off Mac's way back in the pre-computer days when we did business by snail mail. There are lots of good parts dealers who have never given me a moment's trouble, so I spread my spending among them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Part of the problem is they got bought out by Ecklers, so I imagine there was some money involved there, so perhaps prices went up? But what I dislike is their upholstery division. They say they've been doing this for 20 years? Don't believe it. I've heard complaints one after the other on their stuff. I even offered to sell them the correct binding for their '17-27 rear windows and all year side curtains, and they declined! So much for getting it right. I also offered them the correct door and top binding, and they declined on that too. Who wants original? Macs sure doesn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Out here in the northwest I deal with Chaffins In California and Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane. Seems like things come in much faster and prices are competitive. Can't say anything bad about Snyders and Langs, never have used Mac's. I am just thankful that some hard parts are available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:18 am:

There are a lot of other parts sellers out there, big and small, that need your business also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Steve's right on 2 points. First it goes back before the buy out and second it's a great catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Lang's is out of them. Perhaps, the supplier to both Mac's and Lang's has raised the price since Lang's last printing of the catalog.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:43 am:

On the home page under suppliers there is a whole list of parts dealers. Or! you could go with wood bands they are a lot less and many of the guys that use them like 'em.

(Message edited by redmodelt on August 26, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

You guys better watch it. Last time I badmouthed Mac's, I got a phone call from a club official.

However, I still agree with you guys who have no use for Mac's. I don't care how low their prices get, I will not give them another penny of my money, and if they were to end up being the only parts supplier out there, I will take up another hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Never ever a problem with MAC's in all of the years I have been dealing with them. Always very helpful and fast on there delivery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Hal,

Why did you get a call from a club official?

Is there a connection with Mac's and mtfca?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

The connection is financial. They buy advertising in the Vintage Ford. Several of the parts dealers do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Like I said I always check other major suppliers online "every" time before I buy and Mac's get my business most of the time mainly due to overall price. Never had an issue with a single order but it will happen one day. If my next order is a better deal via lang's, Snyder's etc then they will get my business on the day. What I find interesting is so many people don't even compare?
We are so lucky to have access to so much variety from the other side of the world, Thanks to all of them I say!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Mike,

I believe Steve hit the nail on the head. Mac's pays the club for advertising, so the club doesn't like to see its members badmouth a paying vendor. Of course, the other side of the coin is that if the membership is silenced from complaining about a bad vendor because said vendor pays for advertising, then it is essentially the same as a bad vendor 'buying' a good reputation.

I was not the only person badmouthing Mac's that day. I specifically asked this official if they had called the original poster who was much more negative than myself that time around. I was told that the OP was not a club member, so I guess this official did not have such easy access to his phone number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Hal,

I would think that instead of defending a vendor or questioning those that complain about a vendor they would use the feedback to improve the vendor, any vendor. They should contact them and make them aware of any problems or complaints. I would think that anyone in any business would want feedback good or bad to improve their business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I called Mac's today. They understood my problem and agreed to replace the product that I felt was wrong. No questions asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 01:10 am:

If a club official called me and told me to stop doing anything, I would tell him or her to pound sand. No one ever tells me to quiet down (with the exception of my wife).

The club officials should stick to their job and not try to police the members. They also need to remember with out our dues and participation they ain't got a club to run. So sit back don't poke your nose where it don't belong and enjoy the ride.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Interesting thing here...I just went on their site to check on current brass radiator prices and I can't find a single one listed! Did they drop them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:27 am:

The whole range of radiators and prices still come up for me, try again Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 09:37 am:

As far as Mac's, I was done with them long before this last buy out.
I think right after that last Mac's thread incident there was another thread about allowing non members to post here. I think the 2 threads were related.

It would seem with the complaints Mac's has and the fact they advertise in the club magazine,it would dawn on them they have some issues to work out.
The event with Hal should not have happened and has not been encouraging to me to renew my membership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Is anybody other than Brassworks currently making brass Model T radiators? I doubt it. I assume the 1915-1916 flat tube radiator shown on Mac's website for $1377.95 is the same one shown on the Brassworks website for $1199. If I wanted one of these, why would I pay the extra $179? If my assumption is wrong and the radiators are made by different manufacturers, I'd be even more inclined to buy from Brassworks because of their reputation for turning out a good product and standing behind it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

I agree with getting the Kevlar linings from Rocky Mountain Machine.
He doesn't even take credit cards.......he sends out your parts the SAME DAY and includes an invoice in the package!
There aren't many places doing business THAT way any more.......although Kwik Poly does also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

I find it interesting every one to two months we have a Mac's bashing thread. Though I've never had problems with them I agree with Steve's assessment Where there's smoke...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Well, I won't speak to whether the allegation is factual, but speaking hypothetically; if a corporation were to attempt to intimidate a private individual (and a paying customer with a grievance) through the club to which he belongs, and the club were to actually become a participant in such practice, I think that would be pretty outrageous.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration