Transmission - tick-tick-tick in low gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission - tick-tick-tick in low gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Any advice resolving a tick-tick-tick in low gear? I apply the brake and low gear alternatively to decelerate, but when slowing, the transmission makes its presence know with a discernible ticking noise. The transmission is a new build on a rebuilt engine. Noise not heard at the idle or in high gear engagement. How serious is this?

I have the hogs head off, resealing the gaskets so it is a good time to do some checks.

Q in N. Virginia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:04 am:

You may be hearing the pinion gear hopping over teeth on the ring gear. Often sounds like noise from the transmission, when in fact it is the rear axle about to fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Royce,

I think the noise you describe would be heavier and much louder than a "tick tick".

Tom,

I'm wondering if it's coming from the u-joint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:11 am:

If you have towed the vehicle in neutral without the engine running any distance (even a city block or two), the three steel washers between the brake drum and clutch disc drum could be distorted/galled/welded together/warped/etc and would account for a noise in Low and/or Reverse and/or Neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:23 am:

When you start out from a stop in low, does it click? If not, the teeth are probably good. If you put it into low and hold the pedal down to slow the vehicle, does it still click? And lastly, does it click if you use only the brake without alternating with low?

If all the above do not click, the problem is something related to alternating between low and brake.

By the way, if you don't have auxiliary brakes, I would recommend them. The low drum is very easy to crack if it overheats. Much more likely to crack than the brake drum. It is not good to use low for stopping unless you apply the band firmly without slipping.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Another thing I just thought of, if you have wood spoke wheels, sometimes loose spokes will make a click at slow speeds. That could be what you are hearing.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

All good thoughts. I will acquire a club snake light to look closer at the gears.

It does click when starting in low but it is most clear when decelerating.

Has new wheels. Agree with the auxiliary brakes. U joint is good. I am most intrigued with the pinion skipping. Will check trans and differential. Baffled at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

It may be as simple as an improperly bent cotter pin or a wire catching on something as you drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Tom,

My T "Skip-Toothed" at the pinion when I first got it. It is very distinct and louder then a "tick".

Is the tick present in Reverse?

Is it possible that the magnets picked up something and it presents itself due to the the fore-aft play in the crankshaft?

Be_Zero_Be

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration