Smooth white tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Smooth white tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Is anyone producing smooth white tires that don't turn yellow right away? anyone with any good advice or good ways to clean off yellow that doesn't take 2 hours per tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Wesley bleche-wite and scotchbrite pad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Instead of a Scotch-Brite pad, get a brass bristle tire brush from the local auto parts store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

thank you for your guidance, george

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 01:52 am:

I ran white smoothies on my '14 for about five years. I found that the best way to get them really white, was to drive in the rain. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 07:03 am:

Eric, I should think that would make your knuckles even whiter than the tires!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Bleche-Wite is highly alkaline and caustic stuff - it burns the skin. It makes knuckles red, not white.

It cleans whitewalls by dissolving the surface of the rubber which is then rinsed off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Back when I had whitewall tires on my modern, I found the best way to keep the walls white was an SOS pad. Worked very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Gil,
You'd be surprised how well the smooth tires grip in rain and snow. On a T, there isn't much difference than with treaded tires. I think it's all about the small contact patch afforded by the skinny tires. One big difference that I've noticed since I switched to Wards Riverside tires this spring, is that the treaded tires are much louder on pavement than the smoothies. That's just another incentive for me to stick to the remote, dirt roads that the car was designed for.

Back to the original topic. The few times that I actually cleaned my white tires, I used 409 and a red 3M scuff pad. It worked great and didn't burn the skin off my hands like Bleche White would have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I appreciate everyones imput. I will try your suggestions,George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 12:58 am:

Back when I was a kid, about 50 years ago, we used a brass bristle brush and Ajax. Worked great. That being said, I don't know if that would work on the white tires available now, or if Ajax is even still available, at least in the same formula that was used then if it is still available. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

When I bought my '20 Coupe the white New Zealand tires had yellowed.
I bought a jug of Cherry GOJO (because I love the aroma) with Pumice.
I didn't have to work my rear off and it did a great job using the plastic brush that came with it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration