Low drum Crack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Low drum Crack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

I found two cracks in the web of my low drum. They are where the web meets the drum running in about 1/4". Can you live with this or not? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

I would replace the drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

It will come apart. The question is when!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Don't do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Thanks for the advice guys. A good drum is now installed. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

You work fast, Pat! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

I have torn down several T transmissions that looked overall pretty good. But after cleaning one up and double checking I found a hairline crack in one of the bolt holes in one of the brake drum lugs.
It ran for many years and evidently didn't cause any problems. BUT I finally found another good drum and used it instead. There are probably a lot of T's that have slightly cracked drums.
I still have it on my shelf of parts clearly marked CRACKED.

You just never know when those small cracks will turn into a big mess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

I cheated. I had another transmission sitting on the bench so I took the drum off that one and installed the trans. I have a tour in two weeks and have to get after it. Thanks again, PK.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration