1917 Firetruck - rear tire help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1917 Firetruck - rear tire help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

We recently bought a 1917 fire truck. We have been slowly working through the issues (character) and have come to one I cannot solve. The rear tires that are currently on it are Goodyear Pathfinder 30 x 5. I have been having a hard time finding replacement tires (dry rotted). Does anyone know what tire I can/should be using on the rear? The fronts are riversides and are in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

20" Tires try Universal or Coker
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

The parts vendors sell Lucas 30 x 5 tires for $159.00 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Look for 20 x 600.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Just to be clear, the 20 number refers to the rim diameter in inches. With a 5 inch tire sidewall, 5 + 20 + 5 = 30 inches overall diameter. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Thank you all! Just ordered them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Nathan,

That is a very nice looking fire engine. Looks like a mid-ship pumper. I think that it would be great to see more photos!!

Do you have any info on the history of the rig? Is it a commercial body by a known maker?

Thanks,

Evan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Evan,

I will be sure to take some more shots of it. We found it on ebay and we got it about 10 days ago. I think it has sat for a while as it has some simple issues (empty radiator, loose fan belt, clogged fuel line, etc). The last few things I have to do is replace spark plugs, magneto contact and adjust the carburetor.

The person who we bought it from inherited it from his father, who had bought it in the 1950's. It does have a mid mount pump, which we haven't tried yet. We will see if we get that brave. It looks to be mostly original. The body was done by Anderson/Andersen?. There is a plate screwed to the back footplate, which I will look at tomorrow to confirm. The siren is original and the hoses that came with it appear to be as well. It was from Kansas, but we don't know a whole lot more than that. We are going to use it for advertising. We have a wholesale furniture company based in High Point, NC. We own and use the original firehouse as one of our showrooms and this fits right in with our style.

Regards,
Nathan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Evan,

Here is the name on the back corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Nathan, Could you please check and see if there is a data plate on the dashboard or near the pump controls? It should show the manufacturer name and probably a serial number. It could be Pirsch, Howe, American LaFrance, etc.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 07:43 am:

Nathan, if those front tires are original Riverside tires they are over 40 years old.

You might want to consider buying 2 of those and new tubes while you are shopping.

My T came with those 4.50 X 21 Riverside tires and they were so hard that they did not need air to keep them round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Keith,

I will take a look the next time I go to work on it later this week and post an answer.

James, the fronts seem to be newer, but the backs are most definitely toast. I would guess the fronts look above 5 years old or so. I will check to see if the date is stamped on them.

Regards,
Nathan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

keith,

It is a HALE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

The late repro Riverside tires should have a DOT strip on them that ends with a Date Code.

A note came from my insurance agent today on old tires that looked good, but caused an accident.

Frank thought his tires were perfectly fine to be on the road. The tread depth was in good condition as was the tire pressure. He did not even think about the fact that his tires were nearly 12 years old. As hard as it may be to dispose of an old tire with a healthy looking tread, that is exactly what he should have done. Studies show that a tire older than 7 years, regardless of use, poses an increased risk of failure. The chance of a failure increases significantly after 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Nathan
Hale is the maker of the fire pump while they did make some complete trucks they were clearly marked. From the looks of the running board corners it was probably assembled by a small company named Anderson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Based on what I see in your photos as well as the eBay photos, your fire truck is at least 1924 or later model year, not a 1917.

Assuming the truck is not a "put-together" and the motor is original to the truck, if you post the serial number motor, we can pinpoint the correct date for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Nathan and Donald, Thanks for the information.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Styles on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Erik,

It's not a 'put-together,' when I go by our garage next I will look for dates on various items to try and confirm. All the paperwork states that the vehicle is a 1917 with an engine from 1921. Given that Anderson Coupling Fire Supply were based in Kansas in 1917, and that's where this vehicle was, there is nothing to indicate otherwise. I will check the pump for a date also.

Here are some new pictures I took Friday.

Thanks to everyone for their help. This forum has been an incredible resource. I especially loved the magneto re-energize instructions....it absolutely worked.

Thanks,
Nathan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration