Need a photo of an E and J carbide generator valve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need a photo of an E and J carbide generator valve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

We are working on an E and J carbide generator valve, basically need to see some close up photos of the valve on the top tank. The one on the outside, setting on the rim.
Need a view of the spring and the handle part.

Thanks ahead of time.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

valve-1

valve-2

valve-3

valve-4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Perfect thank you for your trouble!

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Can anyone explain the whole on the side of the valve? It looks like a plug underneath that hole.
Does that hole drain the water?
I have one of these that needs restoration and need to understand how they work.

Thanks

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Herb-
When the valve is in the ON position (down) it lets the water in the upper tank drip onto the calcium carbide crystals in the lower tank.

When the valve is in the OFF position (shown) it closes off the water drip and opens a vent (hole shown) from the lower tank. The remaining acetylene gas takes the path of least resistance and vents out the hole in the side of the valve assembly.

I hope this helps.

Do you have the valve assembly, or need pictures of the valve?

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

To add a little more to what Keith has written:

generator operation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I have the pictures that Phil has so graciously put on this thread.
I need the valve. I have a friend who will make one, and Andrew Brand has given me some dimensions od the body but need to see the inner workings of the tapered spinner part. What do you call the part with the handle?

Thanks

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I have the pictures that Phil has so graciously put on this thread.
I need the valve. I have a friend who will make one, and Andrew Brand has given me some dimensions od the body but need to see the inner workings of the tapered spinner part. What do you call the part with the handle?

Thanks

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:12 am:

Herb-
Do these help?

Here is the valve, screw, spring and washer.

This is the off position and venting to the outside hole.

This is the ON position where the water goes down. The water hole is smaller than the vent hole.

I'll send you some other photos directly.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 07:44 am:

Keith and Phil, Thank you guys . Those photos will help very much. I appreciate the effort.

Herb

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration