Need bracket measurements for 26-27 vacuum wiper motor for touring.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need bracket measurements for 26-27 vacuum wiper motor for touring.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

I finally acquired a correct Ford accessory wiper motor for my 27 sport touring. Does anyone have measurements or a good photo of the bracket that fits between the motor and the top of windshield frame, that keeps the motor from rotating. I would also like to know the length of the tube that goes thru the windshield frame for a touring/roadster. My bracket is missing and the tube was broke off. I plan on using a tube from another Trico wiper motor and make my own shaft to be "straight thru" and only work as a hand operated wiper. It will just be for looks and hand use, as they very seldom worked anyway. I have the correct "nickel plated" tag that is supposed to be for the open cars. I could probably figure out something that would be close to the correct parts, but If someone had the measurements or a good pic, I can make the parts as original.... Thanks .... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

WOW, no responces in almost 24 hours. That's almost unheard of from this forum. :-) I know the wipers are very rare, so maybe info about them is rare also. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:35 am:

Jim Mahaffey knows a lot about the Trico windshield wipers used on '26/'27 Fords. You can find some earlier threads by googling Trico mtfca :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Donnie,

Sorry I didn.t get back to you immediately. The only bracket I've ever seen is for a tudor, and it's different from the touring car bracket. I have no touring car bracket to photograph. However, the bracket is quite simple, and its dimensions should be easy to derive.

It's a rectangular piece of sheet metal, with a 90 degree bend. The touring car bracket fits over the top of the windshield, preventing the motor from turning in reaction to torque from the wiper action. It fits on the motor by way of a hole drilled in it, fitting around the main shaft. It is cut to fit a keyway cast into the front of the motor, around the shaft. So, cut a piece of metal that is drilled to fit around the shaft and trimmed to fit into the keyway, push the shaft through the windshield hole, affix the nut to hold the shaft in place, bend the bracket over the top of the windshield, and trim it to length on the front. That's all there is to the bracket.

Unfortunately, the tube that has broken is unique to the Ford TRICO, and no other TRICO tube will substitute. (TRICO sold the Ford wiper under its own name as the "TRICO Junior.") The tube was made to fit in the existing hand-wiper hole in the windshield. The tube is simply a brass tube with threads on one end, and there's no reason why a new one cannot be fabricated. The tube/shaft assembly is a friction fit into the paddle. The sedan and open-car shafts are of different lengths.

Send me your email address, and I will send you the FORD installation instructions, an email address for the only person in the world who works on Ford TRICO wipers, and details on the touring car shaft. You are correct, the nickel-plated tag is for open cars.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

James, thanks for the info. I was just making fun of the "no responces in 24 hours" I know it takes time for some of the answers we need. But I have always marveled at how fast the responces can be. Other forums can take days or even weeks. My e-mail is dobro(at)artelco.com I have a couple different tubes from Trico wipers that are really close to being correct. The main difference is the "hex" nut end of the tube that fits into the main body casting. The Ford hex is larger than the Trico hex. I should be able to shim it or just JB Weld it in place. The hex is just to keep the shaft tube from turning while I tighten the nut that holds the unit to the windshield frame. Im hoping to remove all the internal parts of my Ford unit and have a shaft pass straight thru for the wiper blade and handle to hook to. I should be able to accomplish that and not change anything to the Ford unit in case Some one may want to try and have it fixed later. Ill keep the parts with the car. Thanks again Donnie Brown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

Jim,
If it would not be too much trouble, would you send the same instructions to me as well. I have a 26 touring that I will install a Trico too. I appreciate your consideration. My e-mail is: njmiller@tampabay.rr.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester A Vander Pyl on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Donnie, I just got another Ford wiper motor yesterday and it has the mounting bracket on it. I have 6 of these wiper motors but never had one of the mounting brackets until yesterday for the open car. If you send me your address I'll send you a template of the bracket, it would be easy to duplicate. I can also give you any measurements you may need. They used 2 sizes for the hex on the tube that sets in the wiper hoousing.It would be easy to reduce the size of the hex in the housing with a little body filler. There is almost no pressure on the hex so no need for JB Weld. Can also send you a copy of the original Ford mounting instructions if you need them. To bad you don't want to restore the wiper motor, they work good once restored. As far as I know only one person can fix these things and he is an old timer like me. If he retires it probably will not be possible to rebuild these motors any more. The wiper motor is probably the rarest Ford factory accessory for the improved Ford and almost impossible to find today. You are fortunate to have one. If you give up on it I might be interested in buying it. Chet Vander Pyl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Chester, I sent you a PM message...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Here is a good sketch I did over my lunch break - sorry I did not see your post earlier...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Mark, Thanks for the drawing. That is about what I thought it looked like. I was unsure if it was straight above the windshield frame or curved to fit the frame. Thanks again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Can't believe they went through the trouble to apply for a patent on a bracket! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration