Experiences With Reproduction Windshield Visor?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Experiences With Reproduction Windshield Visor?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:50 am:

The visor on my Fordor broke while trailering last weekend. Today I had the chance to take the cover off with hopes of fixing it. Turns out, the most of the front edge portion of the frame is too rusted away to do much with it. I'm looking at buying the reproduction frame from Lang's https://www.modeltford.com/item/50537.aspx

Has anyone had experience with these? Do they fit up well? Strong? I see the covering that fits the original frame will not fit the new one for some reason. Makes me wonder what's different... If I HAD to, I could fix the old one. Lot's of work though and little spare time to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Back in the '70's and '80's, we would take our '27 Fordor to tours on an open trailer. I was always concerned about the wind effect on the visor. Besides that, trailing during the evening hours we would get lots of bugs on the car being on an open trailer. Cleaning those bugs off is a real bummer, and the front of the Fordor has lots of nooks and crannies for the bugs to get into.

We never lost the visor or had a problem with it, but I was always concerned about it. At the same time,I found that by putting the Fordor on the trailer with the back end facing forward, it was a lot easier to clean the bugs off of the smoother back end of the Fordor, and not to be concerned about the visor being caught by the wind.

Jerry, maybe the best thing is to just bite the bullet and fix your original visor. After all, the frame gets covered up anyway. You might consider towing the Fordor backwards on the trailer too.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this subject has come up within the last 6 months or a year on the Forum. I may be dreaming, but I seem to remember that the fordor's visor is shorter than a coupe or tudor. I know the dash board is. I'd ask a vender for the overall length measurement to compare before ordering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Terry,

I hear some people say they're the same, and some say they differ.

Anyway, the the thing about the one the suppliers offer is that it's really for a Model A. It is very similar and apparently will fit but, since I want Model T parts on a Model T, I'll struggle to fix the old one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

I think you're wise. That's what I would have recommended. P.S. I have an original coupe/tudor visor with the original cover still on it, I can measure it if you want to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Terry,
The subject has come up recently.I asked the question back about 2012.I have a 1926 fordor & a friend of mine has a 1926 coupe.We measured both visors & there is a one inch difference.The presewn covers offered by the parts suppliers are too wide for the fordor.I tried to find the link but the search feature wasn't user friendly for me.I think it was about one month ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Jerry:

Here are two posts found in a quick search, there may be more. Some good photos in first post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/216680.html?1308017692

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/91572.html?1241969379

respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Thanks guys. All very helpful & interesting.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration