OT - Commercial car hauler nightmare

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Commercial car hauler nightmare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

We bought our K roadster from the gentleman who is the "victim" of this mover. He made this video as a warning to other hobbyists, and I suspect out of anger and frustration. I feel his pain.......

I have no interest or involvement with the parties involved, except my business association with the car owner. Hopefully the carrier will make amends before much more time elapses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvBW_fTfPBs&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Rob,

Folks should read this ...

A double decker enclosed car hauler has a lift gate that moves a vehicle from grade level up to the second level to load & vice versa to unload.

The risk is - the car can fall off - it is a minimal risk but still a risk.

Beyond that - the actions of the carrier in question in addressing the claim are .... enlightening to say the least.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Jim,
This makes the second "horror " story I have become aware of. A local car collector had an original 1940(?) Lincoln convertible delivered from Texas to Nebraska. The driver attempted to drive the car off the van (instead of just rolling it) and repeatedly flooded and killed the engine (according to a neighbor, the owner was driving home to meet the hauler). After several attempts, the car backfired. The trailer was so full of raw gas the entire trailer, with the Lincoln, and whatever other cars were onboard, promptly burned. The driver escaped a little singed. The cars were a total loss. The owner arrived about the same time as the fire department.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

That video should be viewed by anyone who is going to have a car transported. What a crime!

You think your car is in good hands and that the carrier you selected is honorable and then you see and read about these horror stories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Rob,

There is a reason I load & unload by wireless remote control electric winch - it significantly reduces risk of damage to the vehicle & my equipment.

Many years ago - the folks who hauled cars made a decent living doing it and cared about the job they did.

Not so anymore.

The goal seems to be how many miles you can drive in a day - how fast you can load & unload - how many corners you can cut.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

This brings up a question: Should you insure a car purchase before it is delivered? It wouldn't add much to the costs, since you would insure it anyway. You'd then be dealing with Grundy, Taylor, et al instead of a moving company.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Phil - I have handled hundreds antique cars for buyers and sellers. I ALWAYS tell a buyer to get insurance on the vehicle immediately after they pay for it. At that point it is the buyer's car. Even if the seller still has insurance on the vehicle, if their garage burned down with the car inside, or an accident occurred (before possession was taken by the buyer,) the seller's insurance company would argue that the car had been sold and legally not owned any more by the seller, so their insurance does not apply.
Play it safe. It only adds a few dollars to a policy for the time in-transit. But a LOT can happen in that time.

David
www.CharvetClassicCars.com
MTFCA member

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

When i went to Isanta Minn to buy the Wife a model A i had it insured before i bought it!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

I once dealt with the aftermath of a hauling adventure. Rolls Royce P-III, for those that don't know; BIG car with V-12 engine in it (very tiny pistons, actually). Was owned by two guys as I remember, and one was given a crazy offer for it, so he took his pickup (not as heavy as the RR) and got a car hauling trailer, loaded the RR on it, BACKWARDS--so that heavy engine was on the tail of the trailer. Took off south of Chico, CA on hwy 99, which goes straight for miles & miles, and then, just before entering a small town (mind went blank on the name) it does a dog-leg where the Sacramento Northern Electric railway used to cross it. Well, trailer fishtailed, Pickup went one way, trailer the other, overturned and that big limo wood-framed body crumpled. My boss at the time retrieved it for safe-storage (well, I was the one who had to haul it back to Oroville). Turns out, no insurance, the other owner didn't OK the move, big mess. My boss was going to make a dual-cowl phantom out of the remains (below the belt-molding it was still in fair shape.). Anyway, big-buck car, reduced to almost scrap metal in a minute, all because of greed & stupidity (are they one & the same?). I don't know what finally became of the car, think it was parted out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 09:24 am:

There is a Rigid 36 inch pipe wrench in my shop that would be used to help express my dismay with the way that car was handled if it was mine.

Sadly I think that tv show didnt help the hauling industry much. Haul as much as you can ,cheap as you can ,as quick as you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:39 am:

David,

Oroville, WA ?

Just got a call from a nice older gentleman yesterday who I picked up a Model T from
a few months ago ...

They had a fire there a couple weeks ago - kids lighting fireworks.

He is in the mountains south of town - almost lost his house.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Mack,

I never understood why Uship thought Shipping Wars would be good advertising for their broker service ..

Who would want the haulers on there touching their car ?

I did like Roy - he died of a heart attack a couple years ago.

Freighter JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Always important to ask the shipper/trucker for proof of valid insurance before allowing him/her to take your vehicle. Most of the time, your insurance will not cover the car if it is being hauled by a hired trucker. It is the trucking company's responsibility for insurance. When it doubt, confirm and double check!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Ron:

You state: "Most of the time, your insurance will not cover the car if it is being hauled by a hired trucker."

With all due respect, I've never seen nor heard of an automobile policy, antique or otherwise, that excludes coverage for the insured automobile while it is being transported by someone other than the insured. Please share an example of such a policy. Inquiring minds would like to learn more.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

So here is another spin on the car hauling that I need to ask...If Timothy is hauling his car in his trailer to a meet and has room for my car in his trailer and offers to haul my car and God forbid he has an accident would I be covered? He is not a "hired trucker" or is he? I would be paying in part for gas so he is accepting money from me. Would the insurance say he is "hired" because I gave him money?

(Timothy is used as an example just because he posted above me. He told me I'm too ugly for him to haul my car)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

I can speak from experience. One of the larger car haulers (named won't be mentioned) was hauling a car of mine to Amelia Island last year for the concours. On the return trip, the black convertible top rubbed up against an upper ramp and a hole was worn through it. When they delivered it, they immediately filled out a damage report and told me to call their office the next morning. Before calling them, I called my insurance company-one of the most popular in the business-and they told me since it was a hired carrier and I paid for their service, they would not cover the damage. Had I been trailering the car, they would have paid for it of course. It really didn't matter because the transport company told me to go to whomever I wanted to fix it and they would pay the bill. I brought the car to my favorite upholsterer, who billed the transport company and was immediately paid. I think if a fellow hobbyist hauls your car as a favor, then your insurance company would naturally cover you. But when a "professional" company or professional individual car transporter is hired by you, then they are responsible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

If you have questions about your coverage - call your agent.

Generally - personal automobile insurance extends to the declared covered driver(s) and immediate members residing in the same household.

Insurance is issued by calculating loss based on known factors.

Lending - borrowing - renting a vehicle and/or a trailer is not usually covered unless declared.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Dennis

I don't have commercial insurance and I don't haul for hire.

Interestingly enough, however, sharing costs does not rise to the level of hauling for hire as I wouldn't be putting in money in my pocket as a result of the trip. To the best of my knowledge, most, maybe all, policies allow cost sharing.....which happens frequently in commuting car pools.

If I were to haul your car for free, and it was damaged in an accident, I suspect, but don't know for certain, that both your collision coverage and my liability coverage would apply and the two insurance companies would work it out. The question is interesting and I will explore it further with my agent.

Ron

Thanks for the example you shared regarding damage caused by the hired carrier. I agree that the carrier is responsible since the hauler was engaged in a for profit activity. I do believe, however, that if for whatever reason you were unable to collect from the hauler your personal insurance would step in and cover the claim.....as it's doubtful that your policy has/had an exclusion for damage caused by for profit haulers. And if your insurance company did step in and cover the damage they would then have a claim against the hired hauler that they may or may not wish to pursue.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Jim
Nope, Oroville, CA. We've had fires nearby, but have been "lucky" so far.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

David,

Hope you stay safe.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 12:43 am:

I discovered one of three known surviving 1958 DeSoto Fireflite Explorer wagons about 20 years ago, sitting in
the backyard of car hoarder/collector. Never moved on it. Wanted to get my ragtop finished before taking on
another one. Another guy in the finned Mopar scene stumbled onto it about eight years ago and bought the car,
having it hauled back east from Oregon. The hauler showed up, loaded the car to the upper deck, and got on the
road. About 50 miles into the trip, the car launched and was utterly destroyed. I could hardly recognize a single
part on the car. It was just balled up into a mangled lump after falling ten feet and rolling many times.

The hauler forgot to chain the car down. And a very nice example of an extremely low production and rare car
was lost forever and even the parts were destroyed. What a shame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:55 am:

I have no experience whatsoever with transporting cars such as has been shown. I have watched several shows on TV where cars have been transported though.The first thing that I noticed was, NONE of the carriers had any kind of a stop (read wheel chock) on the back of the upper ramp that was lowered down after the car was backed on to it, at least that was shown. How hard would it be to design an adjustable stop to keep the car from falling off of the ramp? Am I missing something? Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Lots of good questions have been raised here regarding insurance considerations when sharing costs, lending cars, hauling cars, etc. And of course different companies can have different provisions in their policies.

This underlines the importance of calling your agent and asking the question if you are unsure. If there is the possibility of a significant loss, ask the agent via letter or email and get the answer back IN WRITING.

Dick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration