Have a question about adjusting my 1924 transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Have a question about adjusting my 1924 transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Ogle - Chalfont, PA on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Iím having trouble adjusting the linkage in my 1924 Fordor. I replaced the transmission with one from a 1923 donor engine about a year ago as the original transmission was shot. At the same time I installed a new clutch pack as several of the original discs were cracked and overall there was a lot of wear. At the same time I installed a new heavy-duty clutch spring. The transmission all went together well, but my problem is in the adjustment. I have adjusted per the Model T Ford service manual paragraph 1060 and 1061. Since there is a new clutch pack the three clutch finger adjustment screws are backed off about as far as they can go and still place the cotter pins in the holes. I expected this since the clutch pack is thicker than the original worn disc pack. The bands are all adjusted properly as low-speed, reverse and brake function properly. My problem is that I cannot seem to get the car to shift from low-speed to high-speed without a jerk. I suspect that the transmission is adjusted properly but since the clutch pack is new and the plates are not worn smooth it is causing a hard shift to high-speed. Are there any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

When shifting do you reduce your throttle setting? This will ease the transition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

You have too much load from the clutch spring. You need to back off the three adjusting screws .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Yep, close the throttle and match the engine speed to the transmission speed before letting out on the clutch, then open the throttle again. It takes a little practice, but makes you a better driver IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Jay, my T did the exact same thing before i backed out the clutch finger screws, but since you said yours are out as far as they can go, try pausing in neutral for a split second as you release the clutch and after reducing the throttle, this also reduced the jerking effect for me....Hope this helps, let us know how you make out with this problem, we all love to hear updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Take the cover off the transmission, with the parking brake handle in the upright position are the fingers loose? Same thing when you push the pedal about halfway down. How loose?
Even a new set you should be able to set the finger to face of drive plate to 13/16.
If you installed the correct number of disks (steel?) the stack should be the same height (1 1/8 inches) as an unused new original set and should have more slot in the screw then what it sounds like you have now.
Your RPM/speed could be too high. Maybe try slipping the clutch to let it gently engage till it gets a little wear on the new disks (polished).
All this is moot if someone tells us the replacement disk are thicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Ogle - Chalfont, PA on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:18 am:

Thanks for everyone's advise. To answer a couple questions. The 25 new clutch plates are steel. I purchased them from Lang's. With the brake handle in the upright position there is approximately 3/16" play in the fingers. That disappears when the brake handle is moved forward. When I shift from low to high speed I lower the RPM to about idle but I still get a hard shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Is there a chance that you have the wrong drive plate on this replaced transmission? There were several different styles. Just a thought?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Ogle - Chalfont, PA on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I had 2 drive plates, 1 from the original transmission and 1 from the donor. The original transmission holes where the 3 fingers go through were badly egged out so I used the one from the donor. I looked at those 2 parts very carefully and they appeared identical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Jay, a couple of years ago I took out the engine on my 26 coupe and while it was out I installed all new clutch plates. After that I could not get the transmission to shift smoothly. Before I took the engine out the transmission worked perfectly. Every time I released the clutch pedal the car jerked forward. I backed out the adjusting screws as much as possible but, it did not help at all. Eventually I pulled the engine again and replaced the new plates with good original ford plates and the clutch works perfectly smooth now. I kind of think that the new plates are ticker than the originals but, I don't know for certain because I don't have any originals without wear to compare the new ones with.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Ogle - Chalfont, PA on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Stephen, I am leaning toward your point of view. My 24 shifted from low to high very smoothly prior to the disc replacement, just that the clutch slipped. No doubt the old plates were burnished smooth when I took them out. The new plates, although smooth, are not quite as smooth as the originals. I suspect that is the problem and eventually the 'jerkiness' will go away. Thanks for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Jay, if you need some good original clutch plates let me know.

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration