Can anyone I.D. these bows ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can anyone I.D. these bows ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I've had these bows since 1951. They came on my 1921 t touring. they fit only front seat to windshield. I'm thinking then might be runabout bows.roadster bows, runabout?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Hi Charles,

You are probably correct. They do appear to be runabout bows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I agree,

Square cross section and straps with windshield hooks on the front. From what I see dimension wise I'd say 1917-late 1922 approximately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:19 am:

Charles,

From your profile this looks like your first posting, so welcome to the forum! Since you have had your T since 1951, you probably have some good stories you can share etc. Below is an illustration posted many times on the forum. It is from the “The Model T Ford Owner” by Murray Fahnestock (available from Lang’s and other vendors and is on page 155 of the reprint see: https://www.modeltford.com/item/P9.aspx )

You can use that to see if the measurements are about the same. If you pick up any random car part in the USA from the 1920s there is a good chance it is a Ford – just because there were so many of them made compared to the other cars. But there is also the chance that it might be from one of the many other makes from back in that time frame. And many of them had similar looking but slightly different size top bows.

The roadster top will not fit a T touring front seat properly without changing the front bow or without installing the roadster top pivot in the proper place. The touring front bow attachment iron is located 36 inches from the dash and the roadster top pivot point is located 29 5/8 inches from the dash as shown in the illustration below (also Fahnestock – posted many times on the forum and on page 149 & 150 of the reprint):

The top size was the same from 1915-1922. From Bruce McCalley’s (RIP) online encyclopedia: “The bows in early 1917 were oval in cross section but were changed to rectangular cross section by 1918.” Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#top scroll down to Tops. The posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/174633.html?1292244625 shows both oval and rectangular 1915-1922 top bows and is similar to your question.

Again welcome to the forum.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration