LAU GARAGE SALE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: LAU GARAGE SALE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Who is planning to go?

Seems like there's going to be some fantastic items there; I wonder though how are things going to be priced?

If you live nearby it would certainly be worth visiting but for others further away it may depend on what prices are going to be.

For example, say they had 1920s NOS X plugs. If each plug was priced at say $50 you may decide to go, but if the price is $100 you would not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:13 am:

I plan to be there!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:19 am:

I might go just to go, I only live about 3 miles away from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Looking at the price the latest car brought, I'd expect prices to be high. Not only that, everyone and their brother will be there. Its the kind of thing where you have to be there mighty early to get a chance at the good stuff, even if you can afford it. Been there, done that. I think I'll pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

As the person organizing the sale, I can tell you that prices will be fair. Our goal is to sell everything. My guesstimate is that there are about 10,000+ individual items in the garages (yes, there is more than one garage.) With that said, there are many early rare items that are getting harder to find.

With regard to the prices of the cars being sold, they are being sold at auction on eBay and the bidders are determining the selling prices. Each so far has sold well above the reserve asking prices. The quality of the cars and the market is setting the prices - not us.

While I do not have a list of parts and memorabilia at the sale on October 24-25 (there is just too much to list), rest assured that just about any T part you may need for your project, is in this collection (and usually more than one of each item.) Also, note that these parts are all in excellent condition - not junk. Dave and Fred Lau gathered these items for their own projects and restorations. They collected the best of the best. (But just for the scavengers, we do have a couple of rare-but-rusty pieces for good measure!) If you are a "T" guy, this sale will truly have "something for everyone."

I want to particularly point out if you collect Ford literature, manuals, advertising, brochures, photos, posters, filmstrips, records, showroom displays and ephemera, there is a huge collection (hundreds of pieces) in this sale, dating from 1903 to the 1940's. There are also Model A, V-8 and early Lincoln items.

And if you're an old toy collector, you'll find a museum-quality assortment of Buddy L, Keystone, Hubley and other 1920's-50's vintage toys available. Over 100 pieces.

Believe me, there will be plenty to go around. We're still finding "new" items every day.

Let me know if you have any questions, or go to: www.LauGarageSale.com for a small preview and more information. You'll find daily updates on our Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/laugaragesale.

Thanks for looking. I hope to see you there.
David Charvet
Charvet Classic Cars / Lau Garage Sale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Thousands of items, hundreds of people and SIX hours each day to try to see it all and try to buy what you want??? I won't be going and it's actually not too far from me. A day's drive is all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

I'm going, it's a 1200 mile drive but I have old car friends in the area and lots of family a little further north. So if I dont buy much, that's ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:13 am:

David, thanks for your reply. Will there be some order to the items on sale...I mean will all similar items (say for example wheels) be in the one place or they could they be in different places? What will happen to items NOT sold during the two day event?

Stan, good point it will be hectic but I guess if items are priced fairly people will see, buy then leave after a look around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Who's going to film the carnage for those that aren't going?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:59 am:

I will drive a thousand miles to an auction if there is something there I want and sit for two days waiting for it to come up. Deals like this you drive for two days, get there, stand in line, may or may not be able to get in and then find that the one thing you came for sold before you got there. It's not my deal, they can run it any way they want but I won't be there.

At an auction I know if I have the money and am willing to spend it I will go home with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 09:24 am:

I grew up tagging along with my father to every kind of sale that you can imagine. The most exciting were the old houses in the wealthier parts of Pittsburgh that were reportedly full of "good" stuff. The line would form early in the morning of people wanting to get in first. Within 30 minutes of the door opening, the fights would start to break out when one friend would let another friend in line with them causing grief for those behind them. Then the door would open and only a few were let in at a time. The door "manager" would then start getting the grief. Once inside, the people would start grabbing everything in sight whether they had intentions of buying it or not and putting it in their pile. After the mad grab, they would decide that either they didn't want it or it was too much money, usually after those who would have bought it had left. It was great entertainment for a young kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I have hosted many automotive estate sales of this kind. (Equally large collections of early Chevrolet, Packard, Ford V8, parts, memorabilia, etc.) They are all the same format: People show up, people come in, look around and buy what they want. It's simple.

I have never had fights break out or seen "carnage." I've never had to call-in the National Guard. Everybody has been able to get in and seemed to get what they wanted and all were civil.
I too am a "car guy." Somehow, I don't think "T" folks are that different.

Constantine - Yes, all similar items will be placed together. That is what takes so long to set up these sales: organizing. I understand that people do not want to have to hunt for things. All of the engines and engine parts will be in one area. All of the wheels together. All of the lamps. etc. One thing that has helped immensely in the set-up process is that the Laus were very organized themselves, since they had a working shop and not just a "collection" or pile of parts. Everything is organized and accessible. That's how these sales can be done in two six-hour days.

Do know that on Sunday, all items priced from $1 to $99 will be 50% off the marked price. All items $100 and over will be 25% off the marked prices. As to items left at the end, we will always consider a bulk purchase of remaining items following the sale.

If a few of you choose not to come because of your own negativity, fear or whatever reason, I guess there is nothing we can do about that. But please don't make assumptions. Those who do come will get to see something special and have the opportunity to take some of it home with them. As I say at every sale: "Remember - old cars are supposed to be FUN!"

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions not covered at the website: www.LauGarageSale.com.

Thanks -
David Charvet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:28 am:

David,

Is it possible to organize a fight ring outside in the parking lot for those interested in that ?

Thanks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Burger - I was thinking a barbed-wire cage match with coffee and doughnuts for the early arrivals!

We do like to offer "something for everyone!"

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:54 am:

It would be a long drive for me. Even if I got to be first in line I am sure this event will bring lots of guy's who crap Benjamins and flush with impunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

I would love to go, but 2600 miles one way is a bridge too far. Good luck guys. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Stan:

I agree with your perspective.

I attended an estate sale that was conducted as has been arranged for Lau's estate and it was a mess with lots of unhappy individuals. This included the heirs as it became apparent from the feeding frenzy that they were leaving money, lots of it, on the table. Others had travelled great distances only to learn they never had a chance to buy the items they went to purchase.

I don't plan to attend and I haven't spoken with anyone, save for one individual, that is planning on attending owing to the format.

Nevertheless, I wish all involved the best of luck!

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

We conduct our sales in this fashion so people do not have to sit through the drone of an auction that would take days to conduct, just to wait for one item. Our experience has been that people are happier being able to come and get what they want at a fair price - quickly. No waiting for hours until an item comes up for bid.

In all of the sales we've conducted, I've yet to hear from even one unhappy person who was not able to get what they wanted. Everyone's needs/wants are different. In the case of the Lau sale, for example, how many magnetos do you want? We have probably 30. Coil boxes? A dozen or more. Wheels? Around 40. Brass radiators? 6 or so. Crank shafts? How about 20. I could go on....

I have never seen one person swoop in and get everything at any of our sales. And in this case, there is plenty to go around.

Thanks -
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

David,

It's not the magnetos, coil boxes, wheels, etc. that serious buyers will be coming for. It's the early, rare stuff that you'll have multiple potential buyers for. How many open valve engines do you have, for example. There will definitely be disappointed attendees, as is true with auctions sales too. But, at an auction, everyone has a fair shot at ownership.

Not telling you how to do your business David. Hope everything goes well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

I guess it's like a swap meet. If you get there early, you will have a shot at what is there. Some will be to much, some will be fair and some will be a bargain. If you get there late, the good stuff may be gone. I really don't see a big problem with the format.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Hi Jerry - Thanks for the message. There are two open valve engines. And lots of early, rare items also in multiple quantities. I think most everyone will be satisfied with the selection.

But of course as Abe Lincoln and John Lydgate said, "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you canít please all of the people all of the time." I am sure there are some who will find something to complain about, ("too far to drive", "prices too high", "too many people", etc. etc.) rather than appreciating that the Lau family has decided to make these items available instead of just calling the scrap iron hauler (which is a LOT easier, and has happened with many other collections.)

Thanks again for your thoughts -
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

David - Would you please enlighten us with either the serial numbers or the month and year of production of the open valve engines? It would also be helpful to know if they are complete with proper crankcases and transmission covers. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Personally, I like the tag sale format better than an auction. I don't have the patience to sit around all day listening to an auctioneer's ramblings. I want to get in, see what I can get and get out. Just like a live auction, I'll miss some items but will likely get others. From what I can see, David Charvet seems to be doing a great job at marketing Lau's collection. Everything seems very professional and well done. The fact that David is being active on the forum and answering quesitons-and criticisms- also says a lot about how he does business. I'm looking forward to attending.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration