Ruckstell Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ruckstell Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Do any of the Ruckstell have a neutral position?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Hi Richard,

In a word, no; not as built. If very badly worn, OR someone has modified it (a bad idea) they can exhibit a neutral position between engaged and disengaged. Again, there should not be a neutral; they are in Ruckstell or out of Ruckstell. Hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:42 am:

That helps Bill. Mine has a definite neutral position. Just bought this T and found out the scary way it had a neutral. Went to stop a stop sign had no brakes with the pedal. Some how it had slipped into the neutral position so no brakes with the pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Richard, get your Ruckstell fixed ASAP. Milt Webb in Elk Grove wrote the book, literally, on them and he's close by if you need help. I would also be happy to assist. You already have learned how dangerous this can be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Yikes! I hope that you are ok. That kind of event can surely produce soiled laundry.

Had you shifted, or tried to, as you were approaching the stop sign and then had no foot brake, OR had you Not shifted and when going to stop found that you had no foot brake?

Inspect the shifter unit first as I think that is where the (bad idea) modification is performed. Wear and/or weak spring can cause problems. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

You might want to consider auxiliary brakes. I have R/M on my cars and wouldn't drive without some sort of extra braking power. If you're a purest this doesn't apply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Richard, these guys are right. First thing to do is check the shift lock. If it is a short nose shift lock it is likely somebody modified it to deliberately have a neutral. If you are going to buy a new shift lock, buy the long nose one, even if you have the small drum differential/Ruckstell. The give a more positive shift and hold it in gear better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Luckily on both of mine there is a definite "IN HIGH and a Low, not in between! Shifts great either way up or down. Fun to drive either up or down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Thanks for all of the information. I know Milt very well and talk to him a two or three times a week. He had some suggestions. I finally took the old model short shifter off and stuck a long nose later model on. I will try it out and see if there is a difference. Yes I have the external brakes on my 15 roadster but I haven't had the touring car long enough to install them yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 12:12 am:

I have three T's, and have a very slight notch ground into the shifter for a neutral. Have never had a problem ever. I suspect some people have ground to much of a neutral notch in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Problem seems to be resolved with the new long nose shifter I put on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Not too many years ago, that was a common practice to grind a notch into the shifter. This was done to make it easy pushing the model T around in the shop or when starting. You never want to do that with out having RM or other outside brakes. Some RM's were installed with out a brake band....I have never done that!
Put on a set of outside brakes....having the Ruckstell in natural only shows you what it is like if something breaks in the drive line.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration