Soaking Kevlar Bands in oil.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Soaking Kevlar Bands in oil.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Getting ready to rivet Kevlar bands, does it matter when I soak the bands in oil?

YouTube video said to soak them before you rivet them but I think that would be messy. Also read that you can use auto Tran oil to speed things up

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Kevlar doesn't seem to soak up oil as cotton, so I think pouring oil over the bands after installing works just as well. I would put the riveted band in a can filled with oil before installing into the trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Agree

Would never rivet new Kevlar that is already soaked in oil!

Back in the days, oil pre-soaking was used for T's to put into immediate service. Today, you fit the linings and place the bands when the engine is apart. Then when adding first oil, pour the last quart or two in thru the inspection cover opening right on top of the linings, that works.

Then when you start the new rebuilt T for the first time, let it idle and throw the oil all around. That will do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Everyou time I change the band's I refill the oil via trans door that's easy from the 5qt jug
If fresh rebiulders 1st qt goes in up front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

I have a retired 1927 coil cover I use solely for the purpose of oiling Kevlar bands.
I sweep them through the shallow oil then set them opening up crosswise on the edge to drip back into the cover until I am ready to install the them.
Pour the remainder oil onto the installed bands before replacing the hogshead cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

I personally would install the lining on the bands first starting at the ends and working toward the center. Then after installation of the lining, I soak them in oil. I have no proof, but I think that oil would expand the band lining and when riveting, it would be too loose, but that's me.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

I install the Kevlar on the bands before oiling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Why get messy with soaking the bands before installation? They get plenty of oil in the first 5 minutes you run the engine and plenty thereafter...pour some oil on them after installation if you want...no problem! Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

When I installed my kevlar bands I riveted the bands on first then I dropped then in a pan of oil for a few days while I worked on the car. When it was time to install them I pulled them out of the oil laid them on a rag for an hour while I was getting set up to install them. I did this because I was told to soak them before installing and it wasn't that messy to handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

I think the Club engine/transmission book suggest soaking in ATF before installing the cotton lining might work for Kevlar also.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration