Ever wondered how they paint the white lines in the middle of the road?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ever wondered how they paint the white lines in the middle of the road?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

White line painting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

You may thank Edward Hines for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_N._Hines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I did not know that! Thanks! Doogie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

That is so cool. Thanks. I retired from running my counties signs and signal shop. Bet that works more often than our paint truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:44 am:

In Soviet Russia the line paints you :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORznkr8zvKI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:57 am:

AHH!! VODKA!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 07:12 am:

WOW, that is a odd setup. I was in the sign and paint department at my job but never did the painting.I was supposed to be transferred over to signals because of my electronics degree but liked sign work out in the county and stayed with that. Sign truck 1057 Union county.

The fellow that ran the center line paint machine for about 35 years is a friend of mine. He often tells the story of the cat that was in the center of the road and he just double yellowed it and went right on,not missing a beat.Turns out it was a small town mayors wifes cat and he tried his darnedest to get Tommy fired but never could. Center line feline we called it:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Very clever how they have that flange mounted on the R.F. wheel to keep the distance from the edge to the center-line even. And is that wood in the windshield instead of glass?

Great pic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Wow, can we say "Low shoulder" or "NO Shoulder"? There's a real 'edge' on that road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:20 am:

If he drops that car off the edge of the road the white line will no longer be centered.

There was a fellow in a small town who applied for the job of painting lines on their roads. The road supervisor said he would give him a try for one week to see how he did and if he performed well he would hire him on full time. The first day the supervisor was very pleased because the man painted 2 miles of lines, the second day the man only painted 1 mile of lines the third day the man only painted 200 feet of lines so the supervisor called him in to the office to inquire why every day the amount of work was falling off. "Well" the man explained..."I keep getting farther and farther away form the paint bucket!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

A review of early line painting patents, some highway line painting apparatus have their origins with a fertilizing spreader circa 1908.
http://www.google.co.ao/patents/US2673090
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_surface_marking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_N._Hines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

How would you like to be the poor guy on the cart with his back to oncoming traffic, today with all the text and drive drivers.... :-( :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

With a flange as large as that, I don't think keeping the car "in line" with the outer edge is a problem. No matter which way he turns the steering wheel, that huge flange is gonna grab the pavement edge. His real problem would be getting the vehicle off the road I would think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I don't see the usual bunch of supervisors standing around like you see today.
Maybe those you do see are company reps demonstrating their product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

In CA the roads are maintained by CALTRANS.
The joke is: How many workers does a CALTRANS truck sleep?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

The picture is interesting. I was under the impression that the "white lines" wern't common until much later, maybe the late 30's ?

Am I under the wrong impression ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Bud, I don't know, but back in 1977 drought, I drove the old highway that was under Shasta Lake, and wherever the silt was off the road, you could see a single white stripe down the middle.
BTW, that was an adventure! Can't do it today, even if the lake drops that much again, as it had last fall & I looked; one bridge had silted up under it and the river was going over the old road (actually had cut a channel through it). Oh Well. . .
Wish I could find the old pics and post them here with the new pics. The one showing the mud against the bridge, back in '77 the bridge was 10' in the air there! It was raining when I took these, so can't tell you if the white stripe was still there.

In this last pic, you can see how the silt is even over the top of the bridge. Back in '77 this was all nice and clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Edward N Hines started with the Wayne County Road Commission in 1906. He conceived the center line in 1911. He is also responsible for the Wayne County Park now known as Edward N Hines Drive Park.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9623_11154-126420--,00.html

When you come to the Old Car Festival be sure to take a drive. The Nankin Mill, on the drive, is one of the Ford Industries buildings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

That would work fine on a concrete road with a smooth edge. Nowdays many roads are asphalt and the edge varies sometimes it has a paved shoulder, but the edge is not straight and smooth.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration