When you think you know what you're doing.........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: When you think you know what you're doing.........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Some of you know about my recent '27 Fordor restoration. I met Don Booth on this forum, and he took on the bulk of this project. I was responsible for the mechanical parts.
Dad had bought this car in 1960, because it was identical to the first new car he ever rode in, when he was 5 years old. He passed away in 2009 at 88 years. He never got around to the project of restoring his car. It was always a running driving car, and always on the back burner, but in dry heated storage.
This is the car that made me want to learn how to "work on cars" when I was a little kid. I never plan to sell the car, so I spent a few coins on it. Iron Prus head, Stipe 280 cam, Scat crank, TW timer, ten tooth pinion.
It was ready in time for the 2014 Old Car Festival at Dearborn.
It never really performed up to my expectations.
It had more power than my '26 Depot Hack, but still didn't seem quite right.
The last few times out, it got a little harder to start.
Today, on my 50th birthday, I spent some time investigating. I cannot believe that it even ran with a hole this big in the plate. With a good vaporizer plate, it has a tremendous amount of power. It will spin the tires in high gear on a dirt road. It accelerates past 50 mph with ease. I feel pretty stupid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

I had been inside this carburetor in 1982, to clean and re-seal it. The car had been run in a dozen or so 4th of july parades in Grand Marais Michigan until 2009. It always started and ran pretty well, until a week or so ago.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration