Who knows what this is for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Who knows what this is for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Imler Olympia Wa. on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

This came with extra parts from my father in law when he gave me his 26 Tudor. I know what it is , just wondering how many others do.What is this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Does it hold the pedal in low gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:19 am:

if it doe hold the pedal in low gear I would like to know how it works.
I am about tho help a fellow T'er who has had a knee replacement make a lever to put his T in low gear. This might help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:50 am:

It bolts to the firewall, and allows the low pedal to catch the hook, holding it in place. You just nudge it open to disengage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:51 am:

It bolts to the firewall, and allows the low pedal to catch the hook, holding it in place. You just nudge it open to disengage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

You better hope it disengages when you nudge it. I think a Ruckstell would be a better idea for long hills.
I had a similar device on my 1916 Dodge to hold the cone clutch released when the car is parked long term. They tend to stick. Got rid of said device when I replaced that wicked clutch with a real one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Wow. Isn't than about the worst thing you can do with low? Not getting off occassionally for oiling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Charlie, when the pedal is pressed firmly the low drum is not turning therefore oil does not need to be able to get between the band and drum.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

It's only the transmission brake you should pump to let oil get in for better wear. Both others should slip as little as possible - but holding the reverse locked down for more than a short push can be scary ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Yeah, you're right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

I can see the utility of it. What does the writing on it say, can you post a well lit closeup of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

It says "L0-CATCH"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

It says "L0-CATCH" The Woods-Whitney Co, Pittsburgh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Imler Olympia Wa. on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Got it right. Original box says it sold for $2.75.
Not going to use it, just thought it unique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Just guessing but could it have been useful for tractor conversions? Or did they mainly run in high gear because of the low gearing?
I am the one With the knee problems Herb mentioned. Need a lever conversion to operate the low gear/clutch pedal. Extremely difficult to get my left foot up on the peddle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Bob Scherzer showed me one of these 30 some years ago, in high school shop class. His thought was that it was used mainly on Ton Trucks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration