The rear axle dust seal controversy rages on

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The rear axle dust seal controversy rages on
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Martin and I just had a little email exchange about the 2510-A steel washer, 2510-B felt outer grease seal, and 2510 axle housing cap. Naturally, he wants to be sure of getting them in the right order for his drawing. He found that in his car the steel washer was next to the cap. I've found the same thing in some rear axles, but I've always installed it next to the bearing. Here's what I told him.

The most "official" source I have handy on the 2510-A washer is the dealer catalogues:
Lang's: "...goes between the felt washer and the axle bearing."
Snyder's: "...fits between the outer felt oil [sic] seal and the bearing." (Of course the felt is a grease seal. No oil should get to it.)
Mac's: I was going to snag the diagram online, but their website is worthless. See Page 2 in the printed catalogue.
I've seen plenty of them in the order you describe, but it makes sense to me that the steel washer should be in a position to protect the felt from the turning Hyatt bearing.

I don't want to spend the rest of the day looking up an official Ford source, so I wonder if anybody here can cite the pertinent reference.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on August 30, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Logic tells me the felt should be captured by the steel washer in the end cap, otherwise it would soon be chewed up by the rotating bearing cage. The original felt seals for the inner front wheel bearings works the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:22 am:

I agree. I'd like to see a Ford source that says we're right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Ford Service Bulletin

Nov. 1, 1919

Put the felt 'washer' first into the housing cap!

Place the steel washer over the felt 'washer' which is inside the cap. You want the steel to face the outer end of the Hyatt, as the felt will get chewed up by the Hyatt.

Then pound on that cup with its felt and steel washers onto the axle housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

the innermost piece is the felt...

that way when the felt leaks you just push another one in outboard of the existing and the felt extrudes into the axle tube <g>...

Think I took one apart once and found 4 felts...he must have had a good leak down the drive tube because the brakes were now dry...but...there was a 1/8" drill hole in the bottom of the axle tube <grin>...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 01:42 am:

I look at the felts a bit differently, I consider them (front and rear) as dust seals to prevent dust from entering and contaminating the greased bearings as opposed to oil or grease seals. If the outer roller bearings are greased with a limited amount of grease (not excessive)the grease should not escape and contaminate the felt dust seal. It is good practice to change the dust seals (felts) at regular interval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:58 am:

I like what Murray Fahnestock said about them: their purpose is not to seal (they can't) but to soak up stray grease. If one sees this as their real function, keeps the pumpkin oil at the proper level, and changes the felts regularly, the little sponges should work pretty well. They may also help to keep out some dirt, but the tightly fitting end cap should take care of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Agree with Roger felt runs between the cap and washer
Never had any trouble

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration