Dating my 1913 light delivery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dating my 1913 light delivery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

I am having a difficult time trying to figure out the parts I need to get this thing running. The bill of sale Had the original year as 1912 but changed it to 1913. I can't find anything to prove this date. The engine # is stamped above the water outlet is 507610 That puts it at May 1914. The firewall plate is #273154 But can't find I any information about it. Any help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

My first suspicion would be it was re-powered with a later engine. 273154 makes it May of 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

During 1911-early 1915 Ford USA produced cars where the car number on the patent plate differed from the engine number. Since the engine # most often were higher than the car #, it's likely it's the sales of complete numbered engines as replacements that caused the difference. The engine # was always the ID for the car, so some time early 1915 the car # was dropped. Your car # 273,154 indicates a build date during mid 1913, maybe May or June? The original engine may have been changed to a newer many years ago. Do you have a title? In that case, what's the # there?

If you can post some detailed pictures of the car, there are many here who knows how to date the parts of your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Are you trying to date the car to get the correct parts or get it running? Without photos or better description we don't know what you have to start with. What bill of sale, current or when it was sold new? If you have the title, what year does the number match? Could have been a replacement engine.
If you posted photos or other info that can help, copy the links and post them here so we can go back and look.
If you are looking for factory build records for your car there may not be any.
The more info you can provide the better we can help you.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Thank you everyone. I am trying to get this running. I bought it from a museum off eBay last February. I was told this was running when it was brought to them in 1984. That surely isn't the case now. I will try to post pictures. I googled model t light delivery and pictures of my T came up on a few websites including a Pinterest. Don't know how they did it as I am having a hard time to post them here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

At what point are you at in trying to get it running?
What is it doing or not doing?
Have you tried hooking up a battery to the battery terminal?
Are you getting compression?
What coil setup do you have?
Do you have a copy of the owners manual?
What carb?
Are you getting fuel out the drain in the carb?
Do you understand the use of the spray needle and choke?
have you checked the timing and timer?
If it's been sitting from 1984, did you put oil in the cylinders, by now they would be dried out as would the valve train.
Have you read the taking a Tout of mothballs?
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/565968.html?1440950622

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Just beginning
Poured Lucas oil in the cylinders then changed the oil
Flushed the gas tank and cleaned the carb and gas lines.
No owners manual but I got the MTFCA books on the Engine, Carburetor, and Transmission to help me get familiar with the T parts.
The carb is a Kingston L that had a broken cork float. I repaired it with super glue and am looking for another NOS or original replacement.
Ordered a new wiring and spark plugs from Langs along with the Commutator 4 wire loom.
New battery needs the new wiring to be connected.the original Radiator is poring water out like a florida tropical storm. So that has to be replaced. I don't see a water pump, this didn't have one.
So I haven't gotten close to checking the timing out yet.
I can't find any T clubs in the area of Naples, Fl. So I've been slowly getting this thing on its way back to the road.
My pictures aren't loading up so I'll have to get the kids to help out there.
Thanks for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Thanks for that link, Mark. I've done everything right so far just using plain ole logic. That is going to be very useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Others may feel different, but since you are a newb...I'd suggest getting 4 new (or having your 4 rebuilt) coils. Snoop around on here, there are several coil rebuilders/new coil sellers. I have my decades experience favorites if you want to private message me)

That last leg is ignition, and it is not just comm wires and timing...but timer, roller, coils also. (I peeked at the utobia listing from last year so I know it is a timer ignition machine). As to timer health? You could open it up and take a picture, this group is pretty good at spotting...or you could just buy a timer and roller to have a known good one and/or spare.

http://www.autobia.com/car-detail/model-t/Ford-Model-T-Light-Delivery-1913-ford- model-t_161554006105.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Good News!! You won't need - so don't buy a water pump!! Don't forget to grease the U joint after its running and before you drive it. We're all waiting with baited breath to see those pictures! We'll not only advise you but celebrate your progress and task completion in getting your T running/ drive able.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Sounds like you are on the right track! If you want to keep the Kingston carb you can get the gas resistance float from the suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

@George Cherry Hill NJ- just sent you a pm. thanks
@george house That's good news about the water pump. My pictures wouldn't download off the ipad, so I tried the computer and found that they are too big. so I have to figure how to make them smaller. Celebrate seems a long way off, but there's always light at the end of the tunnel, and it's all about the journey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I use www.shrinkpictures.com to resize pictures for the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

PicsT picsT pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Thanks Roger-here are a coup,e more. T picsT pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I remember that T. I believe it is a wide-track too. Just replace the fluids and follow the checklist, its will start eventually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-Ford-Model-T-/161554006105?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=j 7JI8RK1W%252FO%252FZ6Ds4jO4cVeeiaU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2 557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Well at least the easiest thing to see is the cowl lamps are '15.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration