Finding a organizational way to paint bolts prior to painting the car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Finding a organizational way to paint bolts prior to painting the car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I am putting this out here on the forum hoping to glean some expertise from those who have painted their cars before. Right now, all of the bolts/screws to my tudor are either in a labeled plastic baggie or in labeled drawers. The body is just about ready for primer and then paint. The fenders (lower sheet metal) will be black and the body royal maroon.

I want the screws and bolts to be the same shade of paint as what will go on the body and I do not want to get them mixed up. I don't have a great memory and it is easy for me to confuse myself.

I thought about punching holes in a piece of cardboard and labeling the cardboard, but paint would cover the label.

How do you guys go about painting mass numbers of bolts and screws in an efficient manner? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

label the cardboard in the bottom or put the label in zip lock bag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Some were painted on the car some had a black finish like gun bluing that didn't need painting. But cardboard works. Remember any bolt/nut painted before being installed is subject to paint chips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

I have started to use one of the parkerizing solution kits that are made for the gunsmithing hobby to restore nuts, bolts, and small hardware. Glass bead as small a batch of hardware as you like if you don't want to mix hardware from different parts of the car, or do lots of it all at once, whatever suits you. To make the glass beading of the little stuff easy, I made a tumbler out a cookie tin by pop riveting a couple of agitators inside, like the inside of a clothes dryer. I put in my nuts, bolts, washers, etc., throw in a couple of handfuls of sand, tape the lid on for safety, and bungee the thing to the wheel of a tractor or riding mower. After a couple of operating hours, the metal in the can is nice and clean. Take a convenient sized batch of the clean parts and simmer it in a stainless pot for 15 - 30 minutes for a nice black finish. Do this outdoors on a camping stove; the odor is pretty nasty. You can then bring it in to the kitchen and bake the parts dry, and if they are not going to be painted, brush on a light preservative oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

use a ball point pen on the cardboard, you will still be able to see the writing after painting if you use a little pressure on the pen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Use different cardboard's for different bolts from the respective "bag" or drawer. Cut the cardboard in an X to stick the bolts through which will hold different sized bolts. Write on the underside of the cardboard which "bag" or drawer they came from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

I prefer a box. If you know your T's, then you shouldn't have to label anything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Writing on the underside of the cardboard is a no brainer - duh - I should have at least thought of that. Putting an X in the cardboard - I hadn't thought of that either. Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, Larry, my memory isn't quite as good as yours.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration