What is it worth? 1914 Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is it worth? 1914 Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Okay Fellers, went to see a 1914 T for sale today, very rough but all the stuff is there. Needs plenty of work: has a 1917 engine and hogshead, mid-20's rear axle that needs rebuilding, and it is very beaten-up. That said, it may need saving. No interior, no top but parts in boxes ready to be installed.

What do you guys think a good price might be?
Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

We're not seeing everything, but from what the pictures show I'd say if correctness matters it's going to cost a pile to make it a 1914 all around. In addition to the things you mentioned, the wishbone is 1919 or later. That's not much by itself, but a little here and a little there and pretty soon you're talking real expenses. On the other hand, if you just want a car that looks mostly like a 1914 and a bunch of later parts don't matter, this looks like a good start.

I know that ugliness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, but behold those wheels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Looks like a recently assembled from parts to me. Lots more incorrect-for-1914 parts. But a good turtledeck. New wood ? I didn't see the condition of body sheet metal or top. If your pictures are representative of the T as a whole, and if it were mine, I'd try to get $3500 for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Looks to me like someone was trying to get things put together.
Probably would make a fun T with whats there to put together.
Wouldn't be correct for a real 14 but would make a decent 20-30 footer to have fun with if it runs and drives decent.

No more than 5000.00 I would think. Maybe more if it had a good paint job and nice wheels and tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Thanks, it comes with plastic bins of stuff: interior and roof in raw form which all need to be cut, upholstered, put together. I was able to crank start it and it ran decently, all the bands seem to work and the car moves under its own power.

Here is a better overall image of the car. The guy is asking close to $10K for it but might be open to offers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Steve, It looks to me that it has both wishbones, James, that would be the early correct one and the later one fitted for safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

James: I have a similar car. There are many on this forum better qualified to answer your question, but I'll stick my neck out anyway. Even if it is not all 1914, per your description, it is still basically a whole car. If you do plan to make it all 1914, selling and trading can be a fun part of the restoration hobby. You will find someone who will want the later parts you take off. I may be out of touch with the market, but my wild guess is that if you can get it for $3,500, you will have $5,500 in it by the time you sell, trade, and buy correct year core parts. That would still be a reasonable place to start, in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

I don't think it's worth 9-10k but you do have a lot of good parts, early tapper leaf springs with the rolled spring for the clamp front and back, nice crank handle, good looking column,right windshield frame and support brackets, side lamp looked like a decent Corcoran, headlamps need some work, hope you have the bezels and hinges, generator, speedometer set up based on you wheel shot. Wood looks good,is it? Sheet metal looks good, nice correct turtle deck. Major Ticket items, engine, hogshead if not correct, 12 rivet rear axle housing, top bows/irons, tires, tubes and maybe a radiator looks like it's had a lot of boil overs but heck it may just need to be taken for a boil and clean. I think 5-6k is the max.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Just enlarged an brightened the picture and it looks like you have the correct hogshead with the lettered pedals that good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

The hogshead on it now has a starter port blocked off- which shouldn't be on a '14, if I am correct. That is why I assumed the trans cover is incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

A good solid 14 runabout body with good wood and trunk fenders are worth about 4000.00. Add up the rest of the parts and you would be in the ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Uhhhh...$10K for that? Yes, I'm far from an expert, but look what $12K bought me..'20 Roadster...engine/trans. rebuilt. I only had to have the rear end done. I'd give no more than $4K for it, even to bring it up to driving condition you'll probably end up with another $6K in it, you can bet your bottom dollar the entire mechanical system needs rebuilt, front to rear. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Unless you find a good running '14 engine you will spend a minimum of $4k to buy an engine and have it rebuilt. The upholstery and top are fun stuff you can do on your own, as is the body and paint work. The rear end you can also do on your own; housings will cost about 200. Radiator recore or replacement is going to be 800-1400. Being an older car you can count on tires and tubes; figure another $800. You'll be able to sell the 17 engine for 400 or more depending on if it just runs and has not had work done on it, or if it's been rebuilt maybe 1,500-2k depending on what was done and when.mi would expect the lower end based on the overall car condition.

No matter what don't expect to buy it, fix it up and be able to break even. A '14 roadster is a desirable car. Roadsters are a lot of fun because they are so light weight. I would think 5-7k is reasonable for the car. Even if there are boxes of parts, unless they are what you need and are serviceable it doesn't mean much.

A couple other important things... If the wheels need to be respoked there is 750 plus shipping. Does it have top sockets and bows? If not there is another 700.

All that said, if you can get it for a reasonable price it would be a really fun car to work on and own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Thanks to everyone for the input! There is a goodly amount of work to be done on that car and it deserves to be saved and restored. I just can't see the price he is asking, we'll see if we can agree on a price or not.

Thanks again to all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

I paid $13,000 for a '13 runabout 5 years ago, and it isn't in much better shape. It doesn't even have the original engine, but it does have a '13 engine. T stuff has been going up the past few years, so if it's a good solid car, what are you waiting for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:10 am:

My guess is that the drips on the radiator are from a leaking seam along the top. Unfortunately I'm very familiar with that. It will be another expense this winter. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Hey James if it does have a hole for a starter then they replaced the pedals with the right lettered ones. So my bad but depending on your age you may want to leave that as it is until you nee to ad a starter. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:11 am:

I recently bought a real nice 15 Roadster for around 8K. Probably the very most I might pay for what I see is 4 to 5 K. Parts add up fast when you start restoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Should have added mine has the original engine built in Jan of 1915 by serial number. See picture in my profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:26 am:

It's the brass & brass alone that puts me in the $4/5000 area. The lower the better. Complete it & you could double that easily. Really easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:32 am:

As a possible point of reference, I purchased this 1914 in 2006 for $9,000. It is pretty much correct. The top was Poorly installed and the upholstery not much better. Thankfully "they" didn't mess up anything else. The body is straight. The doors close Really Well. Original front floor mat. It has some interesting period accessories. The engine ran well until the crankshaft broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:20 am:

It looks like if you unfasten the top from the front bow and pull it forward it will tighten it up. Just make sure the back bow is in the proper position before doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Hi Larry,

Those pictures were taken on the day I picked up the car. Since then I have made corrections where I could. The simple truth is that the installers of this repro top didn't know, didn't want to know, didn't care, or perhaps were visually impaired (read blind) and it is just a mess. I rarely put up the top because it looks so bad. I will be replacing the top and the upholstery. Thank you for your input. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:39 am:

At least it looks like there is plenty of material if you get the energy up to remove the top and re-attach it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Bill...looks like the birds might have messed it up worse! What approach are you going to do with your upholstery? Farm it out, do it yourself? I'm wrestling with the same thing on my '13. I'll definitely get Classtique materials, just don't know if I want the "fun" as Gary London says!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Hi Mark,

That is the deceiving part. The top deck is too short. It doesn't mate well at all with the rear curtain. Measurements side to side are not the same. And it has shrunk.The top is an abomination. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

I am going to pass on the 1914; so if anyone is interested. I am not connected to the sale in any way. Here is the Craigslist ad:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5190282466.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Anderson on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Last fall I bought my first Model T, a '14 Roadster pickup. I submitted my first post to this forum shortly thereafter, including pics. Most people commented on its many non-origonal parts; calling it a put together car. One guy called it a "Johnny Cash" car. Well, after doing a lot of mechanical work on it but replacing none of the non-origonal parts, my "Johnny Cash" car sold for more then $13000.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration