Differential question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Differential question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Gonna go check the lube level in the differential in our '14. What should I look for in terms of level, etc? When I remove the plug how high should the lube level be? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

If a Ruckstell, lube should be right up to the filler plug. If all Ford differential, lube level should be 1" below filler plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

It's a regular Ford differential so I'll follow your advise. Thanks George, I appreciate your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

On my 15 it's supposed to be level with the filler plug hole. Was 14 - 15 the year it was changed ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Depends on the year of the axle housing.

The 'pumpkin' can hold about a gallon of lube, but it should be filled only 1/3 full or about 3 pints of heavy oil.

'09-'18 have the filler hole at midway of the axle housing. Those are filled approx. 1"- 1 1/2" below the hole.

On '19-'27 the filler hole is located 1 3/4" below the center line of the axle housing, so fill to the edge of that hole on later housings.

Pinky finger measure to find level at the hole for the later axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

For the early axle housings with the oil hole midway, should have stated 1 1/2" below the hole, at 1" below the lube level might be too high, and may cause messy leaks at the rear wheels if the felt washers are worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Also for those who are reading this, and DO have a Ruckstell, DO NOT use 600WT gear oil, use 85-140WT gear oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 09:22 am:

The Ford Service book says in para. 623, "Place 1-1/2 pounds of high grade gear compound into the differential housing."

Since a pound is 16 ounces and a pint of liquid is 16 ounces, that would be 1-1/2 pints of gear oil, regardless of where the fill hole is located.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 10:24 am:

If you fill a Ruckstell or any other rear end up to the filler hole, I can guarantee you will have oil coming out of your housings very soon. I use straight 140, but in cold climates I think the 85w-140 is a good idea. Pay attention to what Dan suggests above. The filler plug level on the housings was changed in 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Mike

Wet and dry measures are a bit different.

In dry measure ounces refer to weigh (i.e.) 16oz = 1 pound.

In wet or liquid measure ounce refer to volume 16oz = 1 pint so a pint of water and a pint of molasses have the same volume though they differ in weight.

If using a fluid lube in the rear axle, the easier way, with a dry pumpkin, is to pour in up to 1 1/2" below the drain hole on early axles, or up to the drain hole on later axles with the drain below the center line of the pumpkin. That way you can forget about measuring volume!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I believe the 1-1/2 pounds of high grade gear compound as referenced would be grease, as some early manuals specify 1-1/2 pounds of #2 grease. All compounds are measured by weight and there is no cross reference to liquids. A compound would consist of more than one ingredient therefore the grease could be a compound of more than one weight of grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

20 oz. works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

OK -- I went to the weight-to-volume converter on "The Calculator Site" to compare the volumes (in pints) of 16 ounces of various liquids. I knew that different liquids vary in density, but I didn't know by how much. Here is what I found.

16 oz. of water is 0.96 pints.
16 oz. of crude oil is 1.0 - 1.1 pints, depending upon where it's from.
16 oz. of castor oil is 1.0 pints.
16 oz. of cotton seed oil is 1.04 pints.
16 oz. of diesel fuel is 1.08 pints.
16 oz. of fuel oil is 1.08 pints.
16 oz. of gas oils is 1.08 pints.
16 oz. of olive oil is 1.11 pints.

Rear end grease was not listed, but if someone can tell me its density, I can get an accurate volume for 16 oz. of it.

What I take away from this is that 16 oz. (one pound) of all these different liquids is one pint in volume, or within a few hundredths of a pint from it. So for all practical considerations, one and a half pints (or pounds) of rear end grease is the proper amount, according to the Ford Service book. Whether I'm pouring in a pint or a pound, I don't believe I can measure accurately enough to gauge a few hundredths difference. Can you? :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration