Sure-Stop Brakes. Where to mount the reservoir.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sure-Stop Brakes. Where to mount the reservoir.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I am installing Sure-Stop Disc Brakes on my 27 coupe. Body is off the frame so it hard to judge where to put the reservoir. I donít think it will fit under the seat. Seems the only place is on the fire wall. Any pictures would be a big help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Here is one mounted on an early wood firewall, looks like enough room, your Improved car firewall should be roomy too. :-)

But only issue may be the cowl gas tank, getting the holes drilled with the tank in place would need care, at least a thin steel sheet behind the gas tank to protect it from the drill bit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

I've installed sure stop brakes on two cars.
A 1916 Touring

And a 1926 TuDor

The reservoir on the 1926 is next to the terminal strip. The gas tank is out of the way in this position, but as Dan mentioned be careful. One point, I had to RTV the reservoir tank to the support. It would leak in both cases. Good Luck
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Put mine on the firewall first and wished I hadn't. Had trouble with the reservoir leaking resulting in paint damage on the hood shelf, cowl, fender, and splash apron. Finally stopped the leak and moved it under the seat where any future leak can't get to painted areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Mine is on the heel panel in my Runabout, way to the left. There was not enough room under the seat. When it's all painted black it's not too obtrusive, and it's easily accessible to check the fluid level and add some if necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:15 am:

26 Fordor, mounted on the left side of firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Terry & Mike

Can either of you tell me the length of the hose that connects the reservoir to the master cylinder on the '26.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Why is there a leak ?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

I put mine under the seat on my 4dr sedan, Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

You need to buy a new piece of hose if you put it on the firewall as the one supplied is not long enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Steve
The connection between the reservor and the adapter the rubber hose connects to tends to seep but if you follow directions and use silicone rtv when connecting them there is no problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence Murray on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

I drilled a hole in the master cylinder mounting bracket and mounted it next to the master cylinder. It has worked there for 2 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

The length of my hose connected to the reservoir and the Master cylinder is 30" on my car which is a 1926 2 door sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

I put it under the seat on the driver's side on my '21 touring. I made an "L" bracket to mount it to, and screwed the bracket the wood sill. The hose goes between the gas tank and the sill.
Mine came with way too much steel brake line, 12 to 16 inches too long, however I also purchased the flexible lines so I could remove the calipers with out having to bleed the lines when I replaced them. Glad I did, I have a axle seal to replace this winter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Thanks Don - I have yet to mount up a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Davis, Orleans VT on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I just mounted mine under the seat. I have yet to bleed them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 11:14 am:

On my 27 coupe I do not believe there is enough room to put it under the seat or under the floor boards next to the master cylinder. The body is off so I am trying to get the right length so that I do not have to take everything (brake fluid) apart when I mount the body. I think I will go with Art Taylor's measurement. I assume the fire wall is the same on the coupe and 2 door. If this is not correct please let me know.

Thanks

Alby Anderson

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration