Please explain pressure testing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Please explain pressure testing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

Could someone please show or explain to me the procedure used to pressure test an engine. I have some ideas and still some concerns I might do more damage than good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

do you mean the cooling system?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Yes! The head and block as an assembly. I'm not concerned with the radiator. I've got a rebuilt, welded block that I want to check the integrity of the weld. I've had welded blocks in the past that held up quite well but I'm concerned with putting a lot of work into this block and then finding a problem. I suppose I could use mag particle or dye penetrant but I think a pressure test would tell me a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Make a blank off plate for the water outlet in the head and another for the water inlet. Drill the inlet plate and install a valve stem for a tubeless tire. With the head assembled to the block, pressurize to 20 PSI or so and then take a spray bottle with very soapy water. Now spray the valve chamber area and everywhere else looking for bubbles.

I have also seen but don't care for people installing a pressure gauge and monitoring but that likely works also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Thanks Gary. That pretty much described what I was considering. I wasn't sure about PSI but seeing as how I'm not attempting to turn it into a pressure vessel I think 20 PSI should be more than good enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

if the head is on eng. cut an old inertube and clamp to each outlet and use the air chuck to pump it up. I dont know how much pressure you can get before tube blows out but I wouldent want to put to much pressure in block anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Made a plate for each of the water in and out. Drill and tap plate for a 1/4" pipe thread. Now get a 1/4" h2o regulator and connect to the in or out. On the other in or out, connect a valve with a tee and a gage. Hook the h2o regulator to a garden hose and turn on the h2o. Set pressure to 5 to 8 PSI and sit back and watch for a leak. Safer that using air pressure. NOTE: This can also be used for running an engine without a radiator. Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration