Vern Campbell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Vern Campbell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak, Chicago, IL area on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

I received an email from a fellow MTFCI member informing that Vern Campbell of Michigan passed away on August 27th. I only talked with Mr. Campbell briefly on some MTFCI tours and he seemed like a really nice guy and I know he was known to a lot of Model T'ers.

The email contained some information from Steve Shotwell:

"Fellow Michigan Jamboree Friends –

Vern Campbell recently lost his battle with cancer – he died on Thursday, August 27, about 4:00 pm. Vern was a true friend of all Model T’ers – his sincere kindness and profound spirit to help anyone will never be forgotten. Those of you who attended the Michigan Jamboree this year benefitted from his sincere words that he sent along for the invocation at our banquet last Saturday. His words touched all of us. Our ceremonial “Vern Campbell Watermelon Tribute” on Friday evening at the Jamboree was also very well-received by all. A special thanks once again goes to Dave/Dan Martin for bringing Vern’s Model T to the Jamboree.

A memorial service will be held in Vern’s honor on Sunday, September 20, 4:00 pm, at the People’s Presbyterian Church of Milan, 210 Smith Avenue, Milan, Michigan 48160.

Doris extends a warm welcome to all to attend the service. You may bring your Model T to the service. There is limited trailer parking at Milan Middle School or Paddock Elementary School directly across the street from the church for trailer/tow vehicles.

More information, including a map, may be found at the church website - http://peoplespresbyterian.org/

If you plan on attending, please send me an e-mail; and I will gladly pass on to Doris that it is your intent to be in attendance.

Thanks –

Steve Shotwell"

I looked on line for an obit but couldn't find one. I did find a story about Milan, Michigan renaming a road after him.

https://www.facebook.com/CityofMilanMI/posts/1007946422559535:0

Sounds like he touched a lot of people's lives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

I've known Vern for probably 25+ years. Yes, he was a really nice guy, as you suspected. He had a real love for the Model T Ford and for helping others with theirs. I can't picture his face without seeing him smiling. He liked to tease me about my distributor as he was strictly a "coils & timer" man. He would rebuild coils for anyone who asked for help. I think he only charged for parts. He was a Presbyterian preacher who's particular skills made him a natural at delivering the blessing before the final banquet at many a T event. His words of inspiration were always well intertwined with Model T terminology and similes. In short, he was one those guys who was always "there" at every T event, and whom you always believed would be. As Vern would say, "Can I hear an Amen?"

May your soul rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

This is unfortunate. Vern was very helpful when I was resurrecting a basket case Maxwell. RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Yup,Amen!! I think it was Vern who helped with the trouble trailer when i broke my first crankshaft? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Bud,

I think you're probably right about that.

See you at OCF!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

That's sad news.
Hopefully someone can continue his business making stainless exhaust pipes with the correct shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I'm very saddened to hear of Vern's passing away. I was one of the HD coils he fashioned for my '10 Maxwell AA. What a wonderful hobbiest! Didn't he also maintain the Maxwell Registry? If and when I ever made it to Dearborn I had hoped to stop at Milan and finally meet Vern. Rest in Peace friend. You've evidently lived a Christian life and your faith has you now restored in His heaven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

My condolences to Vern's family

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Very Sad to hear about Vern!! He was always fun to visit with on the T tours & his stainless tail pipes are the only ones that I could make "really" work well! Condolences to Family & Friends - John & Agnes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

The best thing at the closing banquet was Vern's prayer. Rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Fenton on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

"Paradise, Vern speaking." was his normal phone greeting. Now he has moved on to another.
A great friend. He will be missed by many.
Rest in peace, Vern.
My condolences to Doris and family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

My last memory of Vern was helping Vern find a non generator timing gear cover when he broke the one on his roadster. I didn't have an extra so I took the one off a rebuilt 14 motor I had for another project so he could make the OCF, I did that because that's what he would have done for someone else. He will be missed by all of us that called him a friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

I hadn't talked to him for a long time but talked to him quite a bit years ago when I first got my 1913 Model 30 Maxwell. Several other people told me it was not a "real" Maxwell since it was built by Flanders after they bought Maxwell at the receiver auction. Vern was very helpful and supportive of this rare car and I appreciated it a lot.

Time moves on, doesn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:35 am:

Very Sad news. It was my parents pleasure to host Vern and Doris on daily tours while holidaying in Australia on National Model T Tours. Vern was horrified that the coils in Dads 1910 were not operating well and spent his lunch break adjusting them. I will always remember him remarking to me that my Dad owned the best running 3 cylinder 1910 around! Our condolences to the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 07:22 am:

Vern was just a terrific guy and a lot of fun. Every year during pass in review at OCF, he'd stop his T, get out and, serve us narrators lunch he had cooking in his manifold cooker. Usually hotdogs, sometimes with corn on the cob and ALWAYS watermelon. The crowds loved it. I'm really gonna miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Vern was a wonderful man.He always had a smile on his face and always ready to help any one. He would always give the Blessings at the MTFCI tours.
I first met him in Acron Ohio in 1976. At the time I had a 1923 touring car.He told me that the shackles on my front spring were not correct. He said the ones on his car were for my car. We changed them right on the tour.
I last saw him on the tour in Florida this year.
My condolences go to Doris and the rest of his family. I will never forget him!!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration