Kevlar lining on emergency brake shoes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kevlar lining on emergency brake shoes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Has anyone tried to use Kevlar lining on the e-brake of a 26-7 T or on a TT truck? My first thought is it's not the correct application, but why won't it work? It conforms to the curvature of the drum, resists heat, and can be riveted in place. I know people use it to replace leather on cone clutches so why won't it work on the E-brake. I know I'll probably get severely chastised for even thinking this will work, but I guess you never know if nobody asks or tries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

William

This was posted on an antique car forum several years ago...

Model T Ford owners use woven 100% DuPont Kevlar (aramid fiber)linings.

Kevlar has unusually poor abrasion properties and will fray and tear when used in any dry application.

Kevlar used in the Ford T transmission is bathed in oil. ..... others have tried the same woven Kevlar in early open (dry) planetary transmissions and the Kevlar lining was destroyed in less than 500 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

I ordered some AC brakes several years ago when they put Kevlar on them for a short time. The linings had to be replaced to get effective braking. The dry Kevlar got hot and melted in use and did not hold well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Thanks for the feedback!! I guess it will only work if my rear axle seals are worn out allowing the brakes to be bathed in oil!! LOL!! Question asked and answered. Thanks MTFCA

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration