OT - What a difference a year makes. Daughter driving old car as a 14 and 15 year old.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - What a difference a year makes. Daughter driving old car as a 14 and 15 year old.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

I found a video from last year of our then 14 year old driving the K touring. I think she likes the roadster more. She doesn't realize it now, but not many youngsters will know what driving two rare Fords is like.

then:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Isa24YplE&feature=youtu.be

and now:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HK8o0QrqI&feature=em-upload_owner

By next year I may have to ask her for a ride....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

The look on her face says it all! That was great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

And when the younger one get,s the bug you may not see the K till it needs an oil change. Hurry up Dad there is a cute guy in the next county. I want to show him how to do a brody. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

I think most kids under 16 that have learned to drive are less likely to tear around like fools when they do get old enough to drive on their own.

I was born in January '37, but I remember driving a mile home in our '36 Ford with only my two younger brothers in the car and Dad traded that car on a new '47 In January '47. Just happened to be my 10th birthday. So I guess I was probably 9 1/2 because it was in the summer when I recall driving the '36. We had taken something, maybe gas, out to the farm tractor in the field and he stayed with the tractor to work and I drove the car home.
It was all country gravel road and not too likely that I would meet another car, and I am sure I didn't.
I had several hours into driving two farm tractors and a truck loading hay, so it wasn't like I didn't know how to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Scott, what's a brody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Yes, she likes it a LOT more now.

Aaron, here's a brody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn8ZIz-7mtM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:47 am:

Rob,

Good for you !

What a great daughter !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:11 am:

Rob, your daughter looks much safer behind the wheel of the K than you trying to handle a horse. See you in a weeks time. PS Why didn't you take the dog for a ride, he sure looked keen?
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:08 am:

Oh, Thanks Steve. We called that whippen a hooky when I was kid.
Here we call that a side show. They do it in front of my house in the intersection once in a while.
I have seen it done on the freeway too.
They get a car in each lane to slow down to a stop while another car a little ahead of everybody burns rubber while the rest of us are stopped.
I guess when they were kids their dad never let them drive their model K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 05:07 am:

When I was much younger, people around where I was called that on the video Steve J posted "spinnin' donuts". I did that once in a model T race car. The only time I ever tried it.

I think that the earlier children are taught responsibility and trust, the better they will be for the rest of their lives.
When I was six years old, I was driving my grandfather's orchard tractors solo. I understood the danger, the responsibility, and the trust that was shown me. I never did anything foolish then, or much since. Except maybe that model T donut.

Rob, The 6-40 is looking fantastic! And you have a remarkable family. Take good care of it my friend.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:11 am:

She is a very lucky girl, I bet you are going to at least have to buy her a model "T" in the very near future:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 07:11 am:

Quote:"She doesn't realize it now, but not many youngsters will know what driving two rare Fords is like."

Well Rob not to many ADULTS know what driving to rare Fords is like!

Great videos thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Thanks guys. This daughter has always been the one most interested in cars. Years ago, I asked each girl which of our cars they would choose? The youngest chose our 13 T. I asked why, and she said because she could take a lot of friends places with it.

The older daughter chose our Model N. I asked why, and she said "because I heard you say it's worth more".......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration