Warford Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Warford Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

I got this Warford a while back.
The seller had the shifter in another shed from the main case.
When I install the shifter the bolt holes don't line up with the holes in the case.
I marked hole locs in case.
If I force the top back to line up the holes it's in gear and I can't shift it.
The forks are in the grooves in the gears.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

I don't know much about Warfords, but I think that's just the wrong part. I'd suggest seeing if you can find someone nearby who has a Warford and then compare your shifter to it. Looks to me like you're gonna need to find the right part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

I've talked to some of the local T guys and nobody seems to have anything different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Looks like the shifter is on backwards. Appears to be a cast iron 3 speed ...don't know about the input ....can't see enough of the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

If I reverse the shifter it'll come up thru the gas tank.
The holes are off about the same amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Bob,
Don't know what you have on the front end...need more photo. Yes, if it is a 3/6 speed then it will be typically necessary to cut some clearance into the body. Depends on what you have on the front. Here is a photo of what the front end looks like...there are a lot more photos on the forum.
warford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Paul on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

I would suspect that the gears are out of position from where they should be for assembly. Try removing the top, re-orient the gears, then try re-assembly by moving the forks to match the gear position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

If the mounting holes don't align, perhaps there is a difference in shift tower assemblies. The one that I am picturing is different...Warford may have had design changes.
warford shifter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

OK...I screwed up when I took the first pic...shifter was backwards.
Here are some more.

wfrd.jpg ,waford.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

Does it work now? There is still something strange about the front end...input end. What is going on there? Can't see the detail. Looks like some home-made adaptation. You will also need the support bracket on the rear...the two holes behind the shifter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

You didn't say whether your Warford is a cast iron or aluminum case and it is hard to tell since the case is painted. My aluminum case shift lever comes right out of the top of the top cover; not to the extreme rear as yours does. Could there be a difference between the TT Warfords that didn't have an OD as opposed to those that did? Also, weren't there some two speed Warfords?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

It is a cast iron Warford, the aluminum ones don't have the bolt holes for the support crossmember. The front u joint housing is not original, maybe it was lost and someone made it up. If the bolt holes don't line up after the shifter was turned around it's possible the forks may be incorrectly installed on the shift rails or maybe a gear is in backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

It's a home made adapter on the front.
Cast iron.
3 speed w/OD.
I looked at shift forks maybe backwards or a gear in wrong. If either were changed it would move things something like an inch or more.
The cover is off maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration