Lug nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lug nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

I just ran the wire wheel lug nuts but the finish is not as great as I like if I remember right the originals were cad. plated not chrome, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

I thought that they were nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Nickel or Cad, the finish was not "chrome shiny"--nickel plating in that time period required polishing to get the shine, fresh out of the plating tank it was more of a "butler" finish, a uniform greyish flat finish. Modern nickel plating is done with a "bright nickel" and is "shiny" right out of the plating tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

I have some NOS ones they appear to be zinc or cad plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

cad is what I am thinking so zink would be as close as original as you can get, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

zinc, sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

off the print says, copper nickel, tumble finish, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Bob,
The tumble finish could, I say COULD, be done before the plating to knock down the machining marks--or it could be after to provide a uniform finish, as "out of the bath" the old nickel wasn't really uniform. It MIGHT be tumbled in something like walnut shells. A true "Butler finish" was buffed with about 180 grit to give a satin, slightly grained finish (fine scratches). The Model A dashes were done this way, no original A Ford dashes were shiny like the repros are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

We had ours tumbled before going to plate, problem was machine marks did not come out, the plating was done copper nickel chrome and they never called me to say these look bad, now they want 2400.00 for something that has to be re done, Bob
the ford print says copper, nickel, then tumble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Bob,
Bummer. Sounds like you should have spec'd the machining finish finer AND made certain the plater knew to not chrome them. Have you tried tumbling them or blasting them with walnut shells to dull the finish a bit? That might make them OK. I've also glass beaded (with old glass and low pressure)Chrome to dull it down where it wasn't supposed to be shiny. That MIGHT be cheaper then having them stripped and re-done.
Sorry for your troubles. Most folks have NO idea what all it takes to make parts & the troubles you have with shops.
Also, I'm told one way to get the old nickel plating look is to have the tank aerator turned off during the nickel plating--but I've never dealt with that idea, it was just told me many decades ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Seems to me that the shop should strip the chrome layer of plating for no charge, since it was their mistake. Then you'd have nickel plated parts, as they are supposed to be.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration