Engineering Drawing of the Model T Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engineering Drawing of the Model T Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Has anyone ever put the Model T engine in an engineering format like pro engineer or solid works? One of my engineers here was thinking about putting through finite element analysis. It came up in conversation as I was taking apart an engine here at work for some spare parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tauguRFo4XA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

https://youtu.be/FnuRW3qye-A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Very nice presentation and use of the program. Being picky, I'll mention that it is a '26-'27 block and they have showed straight cut timing gears. The angled teeth no doubt gave them some problems. Also, they installed the cam bearings into the block before installing the camshaft. I can't do that. Aluminum pistons and adjustable tappets are nice. I might have preferred cast iron and Champion spark plugs, but that's just me. It is nice to see a modern depiction of the old T engine. Great work.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Ivan - That is fantastic!

How accurate is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

I am going to try to put it on my iPad for show and tell when people are looking at the T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Fred,
It is very well done.

How accurate you ask?

Well a few things jump out, you don't use straight cut gears on a generator block, connecting rods are fitted backwards and ring gaps are in line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Now, that was cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Yes, that is brilliant! I did notice "errors" but I give them no mention. Heck, I could Never create something like that simulation. I am thankful every time that I am at this computer that I don't inadvertently hit the "Delete All Files" key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

I like the second video ALSO of the second starting of a T engine! Won't pass smog in Califunny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

Hi All,
Its a well done video drawn in Solids Works. Its a bit harder to draw the angle gears. Its just a few steps more but if you are not a gear guy then you may never need to. The block has no valve angle and pistons 1& 4 come out farther that 2&3. But for most everyone it is a nice video. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 10:09 am:

There are .stl stereo lithography CAD models of the 1914 engine that were created for the T-100 project. I don't think there is enough there for a finite element analysis though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart. Bakersfield, Calif. on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Those are really interesting videos. I have not seen them before. Lots of good videos listed on those sites. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:00 am:

That is a great video.

I imagine the gears are straight cut as there is too much overhead modelling helical involute.

I drew up the T Transmission in Solidworks about 15 years ago. I had it all stored on about 15 floppy disks. I'm not sure what happened to those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:31 am:

Here's the original thread about the youtube animation: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/144442.html?1276305860

It was David Harrison's daughter who created it as a student project at UC Berkeley in 2010.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration