A guestion about the valve cover.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A guestion about the valve cover.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

They say that there are no dumb questions but this one comes close. :-)

If I run a 23 T motor with the valve cover off how much oil will be flying around?

I am thinking about using some alumaseal to attempt a temporary fix for a crack in the block between 2 and 4 and want to see if it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

09-11 T's run without any valve cover. The big difference is the drain holes in the valve chambers on post 1913(?) T's. Some oil may splash up through the drain holes while running but maybe not so much? If it splashes too much you may make temporary plugs for the drain holes?

So no big problem with trying. The best thing with temporary plugs may be you won't contaminate the engine oil with coolant if it keeps on leaking for a while before the alumaseal works :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Thanks Roger --

That makes it easy.

Just thinking - if the sealant doesn't work I can leave the holes plugged and the cover off until I get more permanent fix.

There are a couple things I want to do with the T before winter that do not require a long drive and this might be a strange solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Plexiglass cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Many have used Ultra Black from Permatex for many things other than the best gasket adhesive.

It will work well to seal those pesky freeze cracks on the side of the block. Just make sure that you have it super clean of any oil. A couple of us have used it between a piece of brass shim stock formed to cover the crack for extra strength.

Recently saw it covering a torn hole in a seat cushion which was holding very nice after a lot of usage. It adheres very well and is also flexible.

You didn't say where your crack is but if you could use some shim stock for a patch let me know.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration