Modified Model t front axles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Modified Model t front axles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Here are a couple of axles that I got with a batch of parts from a chicken coupe in Oxford Conn. They may have been modified for a speedster or racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

They look that way to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

That pics of the split wishbone axle looks like it might be one of those late '27 axles with the curve in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 02:43 am:

Nice speedster axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:50 am:

I agree with David – the split wishbone axle appears to be the final version of the T axle. From: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fr1 Bruce (R.I.P.) wrote “In late 1926 the axle was modified and now had a “droop” or “sag” between the perches.” Shown below in the photo of Edsel that was previously posted on the forum with a 1927 T.

I cannot tell if the split wishbone axle has the later 1926-27 lower spindles or not, but from the factory it originally would have had them.

That same double wishbone axle looks like it was also up for longer front spring.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Very odd steering links on both axles. Maybe something that was propped up for use on haywagons after the speedsters were scrapped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

The V wishbone axle definitely looks like it was set up for a speedster, or likely a racing car. It is set up for something like a Ross outside steering also. The wishbone looks unusually long as well, even allowing for the front axle being moved forward some. It may have been on a car with the engine and driver moved back a few inches also. That was sometimes done for balance and handling reasons. That axle should have a car built around it, especially for it.
I cannot tell from the photos just what the steering linkage is like. There were special setups made after-market for Ts as well as a few non-Ford car's parts that were readily adaptable to T spindles. I have seen a model T race car that had model A steering parts fit into the T spindles. Looked pretty good, but a little obvious. A little more effort could make it look nice.
Sometimes, those things were made by welding different pieces together. I would really recommend not using that kind of a modification. Unless a lot of engineering care is taken, flaws, hard spots, soft spots, improper angles, Any or all can make such modifications very dangerous.
I still would think someone should build a car around that axle!

The other axle also may or may not have been part of a speedster or race car. It probably would have been built a bit later judging by the joints used on the ends of the split wishbone. Still an interesting piece worth consideration of being used again. It looks like it has been since also modified for use on a trailer, with the steering locked straight forward. I would recommend looking it over very carefully to determine how many of the modifications are appropriate to be used, and how much needs to be returned to a "relatively safe to use" condition.
I still think it may well be worth trying to return back to the road.

I have said many times over the years, that way too many of the thousands of speedsters and racers built way back in the day that did not succumb to the scrap metal drives of WWII, were parted out to help restore other cars back to factory configuration in the '50s and '60s. Very few truly intact original speedsters exist today (unrestored or restored) in the original configuration they were built back in their day.
Five of the six speedsters I have "resurrected" over the years were put together using many remnants from original era speedsters. Intact original speedsters may be difficult to find. But original speedster parts are still fairly easy to get. Too many of them were parted out years ago, many of the special (or modified) parts tossed behind the garage to rust for decades. These things show up at swap meets quite a bit if you know what to watch for. With a little creativity, they can be worked into a nice speedster, and you can call it a "restored original"! Okay, that might be stretching it a bit.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

They are both dangerous and should not be installed without substantial work. The top one with the split wishbone could be made to work with the addition of top bars to make "hair pins". As it sits it will allow the front axle to tip over forward and cause loss of steering. The split rods were bent for clearance of the tie rod and rebound of the spring, that is fine but the axle will tip forward and backward without top support.

The other one is an abortion. It looks like somebody "pinched" the radius rod to shorten it and that will make it like a bow that can flex. The upside down steering arm puts the drag link in line with the front cross member so it has to go over the top and the pitman will have to be upside down so it steers from the top and not the bottom. The front cross member would have to be flat and the radiator would have to be moved back. Again, this one needs upper rods added so the axle can't tip over.

I don't look at them as "race car" parts but as blacksmith modifications that will make a uncontrollable steering assembly.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

In addition; the split wishbone axle has some flat stock welded on to stop over-steer so the tires can't hit the frame from left to right. I can't be kind here and tell you that you have something rare and off some high dollar race car but instead what you have is junk yard modifications. I would not advise that either of them be used as they are.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:27 am:

close ups of the modifications would be neat to see.

The one with split wishbone looks to also have been modified for use with a long front spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

The split wishbone was typically used on a car which was being used for a "hot rod". The chassis would be fitted for a later engine and transmission and of course the wishbone was made to fit to a T crankcase, so it was split and attached to the frame siderails.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

As I remember there were a long steering shaft with a small steering box attached and the spider for the steering wheel was bent toward the driver also there are a pair of brackets that attach to the rear backing plates and wrap around the rear radius arms. There was also an early frame that was painted the same color as some parts. As I find these parts I will post photos. I do not plan to drive this car but may assemble the parts just to see what it would have looked like. Thanks Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration