Kingston L4 Carburetor LEAK

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kingston L4 Carburetor LEAK
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

What would cause the L4 Kingston Carburetor to leak from the hole in the bottom of the carburetor Bowl?
I have reset has side drain on bottom. Center has a nut with a threaded shaft in the center of the bowl. There is a hole in the middle of the shaft that holds the bowl on to the main body. Fuel flows freely out of this hole when the fuel is turned on. How do I fix this leak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Sounds like the float is either stuck in the down position, or the float has a leak and is sinking in the bowl, or the float level is adjusted too high, or the float needle and seat are not mating well.

If the float is stuck, some folks have had success with tapping the side of the bowl with a hammer to get the float unstuck, I have never been so lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 04:25 am:

Here's a thread with Martin Vowell's great drawing of the Kingston L4 carburetor: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/375808.html

I haven't got any experience with Kingstons, but should there really be free access to the hole in the middle of the shaft where the bowl nut goes? Shouldn't the nut be an acorn nut / cap nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:23 am:

Roger, that hole in the bottom serves as a vent to the upper portion of the bowl, similar to the hole on the side of an NH. These vents keep the air in the bowl from becoming pressurized when fuel flows in, and will also be the source of an apparent leak if the float valve fails to close. Mark is right on in his diagnosis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:42 am:

Ok, thanks - learning something new here everyday :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration