OT - Upgraded to 8+ operating system on my iPad, maybe a mistake?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Upgraded to 8+ operating system on my iPad, maybe a mistake?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

i seem to be much more limited since upgrading to 8 something. Now I have to resize so low the pics are often small and/or not clear. This version gives several sizes, and it's hit and miss on finding a size that will work.

Not only are the pics I'm able to post smaller (in physical size on the screen), but I have to go through several more steps.

This is the screen where I now must choose from several "canned" size choices. In the past, as long as a pic was under 800 x 600, it would usually post without requiring reduction.

Choices:

The largest choice to post the pic below:

Much smaller than I could past with the old IOS:

The result, a much smaller pic than I was able to post before:

Like Adam, I should have stayed from the Apple..... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

I believe that in an earlier post by Steve Jelf, he found that the picture width in number of pixels was a key factor in how the image would appear in a thread.

A good number is somewhere between 700 and 1200 pixels wide. 1200 is about as wide as you can go without making the picture so wide that folks have to scroll over to see the RH side of the picture.

Steve, did I get that right? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Mark,
The only choices I have are those that the OS posts (above). And, the only one small enough to post (believe me, I tried them all), was the smallest choice, 320 x 227. Sometimes, I am able to post one or two sizes higher, but I must try each one, get the error message, and try again. Certainly smaller, and more difficult than with the old operating system. I think we have an old iPad, I'll try to find it and post an example of the same pic, with the old system, and I'll bet it will be much larger......

I love technology........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

No offense, but the website is ancient operating system. If there is a way to upgrade, then we wouldn't be reading these posts of "can't get my pics on here"...We have old and new 'puters around the house and they all fight with this site about posting pics. We have several Nerds in the family, what can I do to help?!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

OK, I "woke up" an old iPad we had laying around, running operating system 5.1.1. Sent the same pic by email from the other iPad, "actual size.". Loading it on this old system, it said the pic was 800 x 568:

So, why would the old operating system be ale to load this pic at 800 x 568, and the "new" 8.x need to reduce?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Mark, that's pretty close, but I adjust height, not width, so I won't end up with a picture so tall you have to scroll to see it.

I adjust height to the largest number of pixels up to 720 that gives a final file size under the limit. If I go over 720 pixels high, the picture will be taller than I want it. This picture was made when the maximum file size was 194 KB. Now that it's 250 KB I could go taller than 601 pixels.

Unfortunately the only resizing I've done has been on desktops and laptops. I can't help with portable devices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Rob, I just had a thought. Have you talked to the outfit that sold you the device? Sometimes when I encounter a computer mystery I phone the folks who sold me the thing and they tell me what to do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration